Thursday, February 14, 2008

Your Love is Better than Chocolate

Who else loves that song by Sarah MacLachlan? Well, I hope everyone has a lovely Valentine's Day and that "all your wildest dreams come true" as Napoleon would say. I jokingly asked Maryn last night what she got me, and her eyes got big and she said, "nothing". I said "that's okay, cause Valentine's Day isn't about getting presents and stuff like that, it's about spending time with the people you love and doing nice things to say I love you to them all day long". Then she immediately gave me a quick hug and started busily making me a card. That's one of the reasons I love her, as you will see in my post today. I hope you can take a minute to think about reasons you love the people in your life today.

5 Things That I Love About Avery:

1. I love Avery’s tenacity. That girl sometimes shows an incredible amount of courage and confidence to do some of the stuff she does. I know it will serve her well later in life.

2. I love Avery’s skin. Avery has some of the most cloudlike, creamy-clear skin I’ve ever seen in my life and when her cheeks pink up, combined with her rosey lips and blue eyes, she is quite stunning.

3. I love Avery’s sense of humor. Avery has a great laugh and when she is really tickled by something it’s contagious. She also says some of the darndest things that really crack me up.

4. I love Avery’s sensitivity. Avery is very close to her emotions and I remember watching “Bridge to Terabithia” with her and how she cried because it was so sad. She is passionate about either really loving something or really, really not liking something. She can also really be loving when she knows somebody is struggling…like when she gives Maryn hugs “because she knows her tooth is going to come out someday, and it will be okay”.

5. I love Avery’s curiosity and imagination. She really goes after something if she is interested in it and I love that she asks questions and doesn’t settle for wimpy answers. She also has great ideas when it comes to problem solving and is quick to suggest alternatives. “If it’s broken, why don’t you just get a new one, Mom?” And I love eavesdropping on her playing… “I am a pirate princess who is stuck in a well who needs to be saved by an alien prince who only speaks Chinese and you are the cat who is also half human that discovered me at the bottom of the well…”.

5 Things I Love About Maryn:

1. I love Maryn’s sweetness. When I am old and gray, I will have a trunk full of cards from my little card maker, Maryn. Several times a week I will unload piles of pictures and drawings from her backpack, and many times I find a written note expressing her love and gratitude for me. I love her cards and how sweet she is to make them for me!

2. I love Maryn’s easy-going attitude. Sometimes this is also frustrating when she is dawdling instead of eating her food, or cleaning up, but I really love that Maryn is pretty easy to please and happy to just go with the flow most of the time. She really has a calming presence in our home.

3. I love Maryn’s creativity and eye for detail. She is a true artist at heart and is so good at drawing and making stories and decorating (just like me!). She is also learning to love finding beauty in her surroundings, and notices little things that are interesting. I remember when she was a baby and we’d go on long drives to get the girls to fall asleep and instead of Maryn sleeping, we’d hear her say, “hey, look, a chicken on the wall” and sure enough there would be a picture of a chicken painted on the side of a building. I love how she notices stuff like that.

4. I love Maryn’s lips. That is one of the first things I noticed about her when she was born, and will always be one of her features that I wish I could have for myself. She has a gorgeous smile and the prettiest little pucker you ever saw.

5. I love how friendly Maryn is. She can find a BFF at a park in 2 seconds flat. It's hilarious to see her scope out the possibilities too. She quickly scans the park and immediately gravitates to the other little girl about her size and will introduce herself and ask if they want to play. For being kinda skittish about a lot of things in life, finding and making friends isn't one of them for Maryn.

5 Things I Love About Mark:

1. I love how Mark loves the girls. He is such a sweet and fun Dad to them. I love watching him snuggle up with them to read books at bedtime, or watching them climb all over and attack him while wrestling. He makes things fun and I know they really get something from him that they can’t from me.

2. I love hearing him talk about “smart” stuff. I know we’re pretty equally yoked most of the time, but sometimes when I hear him talk about certain things like books, or politics, or even religion I am always impressed at how intelligent and insightful he really is.

3. I love how practical he is. He doesn’t worry obsessively like I do. If there’s a problem, he works out a solution and starts to get it taken care of. He rarely second-guesses himself and regardless of the outcome he knows that things will work out fine.

4. I love how he can find happiness and joy in simple things. You give him a gift card and an hour in Borders and he is a HAPPY man. You’d have thought that I bought him a new car when he got his iPod for Christmas. And that reaction continues with each 99 cent download for a new iTune. Mark gets excited and appreciates the simple pleasures in life and it inspires me.

5. I love how Mark is always willing to serve. I remember when we were driving in a really bad snow storm between Boise and Rexburg and it was dark and cold, and we had sleeping babies in the backseat and he noticed a car pulled off to the side of the road and almost without thinking he pulled over to make sure they were okay. I was furious because of my paranoid, always expecting the worst out of people attitude, but he was insistent on helping these people who were probably just like us and needed a hand. He also is one of those guys from the Elders quorum to actually show up to help people move and clean up the side of the road on a Saturday morning…without complaining. He genuinely likes to serve.

Happy Valentine's Day!!

2 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Five things I love about Suzy :
1.She shares my fears ie. rollercoasters and other high in the sky things.
2.She has a giving spirit ... happy to help.
3.She is loyal ... to family, friends , and Church.
4.She is a budget-er. Handles her money carefully, prudently, but makes room for the cost of fun, too.
5.She is willing to still be called Suzy or Suz or Suzanna Danna or Downtown Suzanne Brown or Marie a'lion even though her name is Suzanne. :)

Shauna said...

Some things I love about Suzy, Mark, Maryn and Avery:
Suzy: I love the friendship we share. Everytime we talk (which isn't often enough), there is always something I learn about or from her. She is willing to be open, honest and will always laugh at my stupid jokes.
Mark: This may sound ridiculous,but I love it when he posts remarks on my blog. That means I value his opinion and thoughts. I read his blog everyday.
Maryn: I love her imagination. That girl can take two toothpicks, a twist-tie and a piece of string and have a complete play with parts for everybody.
Avery: she is just about the cutest, spunkiest thing I know. I love her personality!!!