
(Picture taken in the backyard of the Vos's...thanks again for a fun night Jennifer!)
Well, it's official. Summer's over. We've had temps in the 70's and chilly nights all week. The leaves are changing and Fall has arrived. I have to admit, I'm not too broken up about it, I LOVE Fall, and was pretty much done with our crazy summer schedule. The girls are back to school, with calendars and schedules and homework coming home regularly. The theme in Maryn's SACC class this week was all about "What I Did This Summer". Do you remember writing essays about summer vacations and stuff you did after returning to school in the Fall? I remember writing an essay in Doc Goldberg's (my senior year writing teacher) class about taking a trip to Utah and Oregon to visit family. She told me in a quiet moment that I should be a writer someday. I wished I could. Anyway, the SACC theme made me think for a moment this afternoon. "What'd I do this summer?" We had lots of fun times, but one that stuck out to me comes on the eve (okay, not technically until Monday) of my second daughter's birthday. So here's my little essay about "what I did this summer" in letter format to my little Avamus Jones, who will be turning 6 very soon.
_______________________________________________________
September 12, 2008
Dear Avery,
One of my favorite memories of this past summer (2008, you were 5 ½) was getting to ride in Uncle Jeff’s boat with you. I discovered a new side to your personality that day, one I didn’t realize you had. And it thrilled and scared me a little. You see, as a baby you were kind of a chicken. I distinctly remember taking you to Grandma and Grandpa Brown’s in Rexburg for a weekend of Aunts and Uncles and crazy cousins running around and having a good time. You were probably only 3 months old at the time. Aunt Mindy was holding you and heading downstairs into the basement, and all of a sudden we heard this infant cry (unmistakable)…panicked and repetitive and loud. You were freaked out and wanted none of the noise and chaos. You must have been really sensitive to it as most days we hung out in a pretty quiet and calm house (despite your older, raucos-y sister). I remember discovering that you had a sensitive little spirit that day, and that you would always cling to me, your Mommy when things were a little too much to handle.
That continued for the next several years. One summer, when you were probably around 2 ½, we took you and Maryn to a fair in a small Idaho town (I think it was Jerome), and we placed you on a kiddy ride to go around and around a circular track. You freaked and wanted nothing to do with it, insisting that you be picked up and kept close for the next few hours. Maryn wanted to go on every ride and did so with Dad, and we figured she was our little “daredevil”. Well the tables have turned, so I’ve learned.
This past summer, Uncle Jeff invited us on their speedboat for an afternoon of rides, swimming in the lake, and an awesome picnic lunch. We took our first spin with you at the helm, me clutching your waist so you wouldn’t go flying off into space, Dad and Maryn were in the back, both looking a little green. You shrieked and giggled at every bump and jump from getting some air off of the waves. You loved every second of it, and I could tell you just wanted me to let you go. When Uncle Jeff offered to blow up the raft, you squealed with delight and shot your hand in the air to “be first, PLEASE!!” It was you, me and cousin Alec. Uncle Jeff says he took it easy on us, but I was freaking out a little. You, on the other hand, LOVED it!! You held on with both hands (more for my sake, than yours), and laughed and grinned from ear to ear, yelling the whole time, and giving Uncle Jeff the thumbs up sign (to go faster) repeatedly. I’d immediately make you put your thumb down because the ride was already fast enough for my tastes. I remember at times feeling like I couldn’t wait for the ride to be over, but never wanting that happy moment with you to end. I loved sharing something so new and exciting with you. It was joy to my soul, beyond measure.
I saw my life flash before my eyes for a moment (no, not because Uncle Jeff was racing us like a maniac), but because I was so caught up in the moment with you. I imagined us doing the same thing 20 years from now. You would be 25, I would be 54. We’d be out on the lake and your husband or Maryn’s would be pulling us around on a giant, inflatable raft and we’d be bumping and jumping along, laughing, giggling, grinning from ear to ear, and yelling our heads off. And my heart would leap because that too, would be joy to my soul beyond measure.
Avery, I am so grateful for you. As I learn more about you and watch you grow and change, I am in awe of what a powerful and wonderful Spirit you have and thank my lucky stars and Heavenly Father for bringing us together. Hopefully the ride won’t always be bumpy and jumpy like our boating adventures, but then again, I sure hope there’s lots of laughing, grinning, and good times with you to come!
I love you Avery Jane!!
Mom
2 comments:
Well, we love Avery Jane, too .She has a gutsy little inner self we have not yet experienced. We have certainly enjoyed her comments on Mark's site ! Especially the last couple ... "stranded", in particular !
do you remember sitting in your twin falls house basement and Maryn saying..."Avery's freakin' out"!!! I also have fond memories of her dancing in her cinderella costume (in that twin house...that was such a fun visit) and saying "ella, ella"!! And of course, who can forget, "Uncle Ben, you sit and I get you some ham"!! We love our little Ave-a-mous jones!! :) Happy Birthday little girl!! :)
Post a Comment