Wednesday, October 29, 2008

So Long, Farewell



Well, the time has come my friends. The time for me to bid adieu to my days at Compuware. You may have noticed this little thing in the news, well here it is: the economy is crumbling down around us. And I'm not sure, but you also may have noticed (probably not) that Compuware's stock plummeted and plummeted and plummeted over the past several weeks. What you may not have known is that in the meantime the employees at Compuware were shaking in their ergonomic chairs, clutching their arm rests for dear life. We were sent an email last week that warned of bad earnings last quarter, stock prices that were pretty much in the toilet, and an urgent call for CHANGE!! Changes and strategies for "cutting costs" and "saving money" were being worked on by the big-wigs on the 15th floor. So what brilliant strategies did they come up with? You got it!! Lay-offs.

They actually termed it a "separation". I don't like that word. I like the word "lay-off" better. Anyway, what they mean is it wasn't a firing based on infractions or mis-behavior. It wasn't based on performance either. In my opinion, it's based on the fact that lay-offs are happening everywhere. Did you know that Detroit has the highest rate of unemployment in the nation? And it was based on the fact that I was at the bottom of the Tech Comm totem pole and my co-workers had lots more seniority and were lots more enmeshed in the company and products they were assigned to than I was. They couldn't stand to lose them. They could stand to lose me.

It's okay. I'm a little dazed and confused but ready to move on. I feel like my job served it's purposes in my life. It was a good income with good benefits, and it came along at the perfect time that I needed it. And now that it's been taken away, I know the Lord will provide me with another opportunity equally as generous and intentional.

I'm kind of looking forward to moving on...and am looking forward to what's waiting for me around the corner (not to mention the fact that I don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn, wear yucky work pants anymore, commute 60 minutes a day, etc.).

Yes, there are bills to pay, food to put on the table, insurance to negotiate, but for now I'm trying to listen to the still, small voice.

I know it will guide me.

Pray for us.

11 comments:

Shauna said...

Ohmigosh!
I'm relieved to see you're perspective and will pray something will materialize soon for your family.

brownbunchmama said...

Glad your are listening and I know you will be heard as well. You are in our prayers!

J'Amy Day said...

I'm glad to see that you are looking at this as an opportunity around the corner...let us know what we can do for your family. We love you & know that you will be guided in the right direction.

Jennifer said...

So sorry to hear this. I will keep you in my prayers.

melanie said...

Oh Suz!! It seems like this is too common anymore. I hope a window opens quickly and it is something even more wonderful for you and your family.

((hugs))

J'Amy Day said...

Suz -- I'm so sorry to hear about this. I know your attitude and approach will pay off in the end as well as you are extremely talented. Keep your spirits up.

Let us know how we can help you!

jd

Andrea said...

Eeek--you'll be in our prayers. Hey, there are lots of jobs in D.C.

You will be blessed for your righteous choices!

Shalee said...

You guys have been and will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers :)

di said...

love you suz. keep listening!

Stacie said...

That is the pits! I am so sorry. Your perspective is awesome though, and you will be blessed, I know. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Nicole said...

Wow, I don't read your blog for a week, and now this! I'm so sorry you have to endure this trial. I heard about the layoffs, and wondered if you'd be affected. My prayers are with your family. And if you want to indulge your sorrows with me in a dish of frozen yogurt....I'll buy ;)