Monday, March 21, 2011

They Wash Up

This was a saying that my Mother-in-law Laurie used to always say..."they'll wash up", or "it'll come out in the wash". She was wisely referring to kids, clothes, and the general messes that accompany both. I was reminded of this saying last night as I was yelling at the girls not to lay down in the mud puddle underneath the swing set, and then later to not build a fort under the pine tree "cuz they'll be covered in sap for cryin' out loud!!!!" I realized that I am such a killjoy sometimes. I am usually so worried about the mess that I prevent them from just being kids.

Later I was reminded of this again as I watched the new episode of "Sister Wives" last night. (LOVE IT!!) They showed the Brown's climbing a rock in Wyoming. The new wife Robyn was yelling at her kids to BE CAREFUL! She wanted them to scoot down the rock on their behinds because she was so terrified of one of them falling down and breaking something. Meanwhile the other kids scampered around the rock face like monkeys, the other Sister Wives oblivious to the impending danger. They were kind of mocking Robyn (the newby) for being overprotective. The way they see it is that if you hold a child back from exploring, there is no lesson learned, nor teaching opportunity taught, or self-mastery accomplished. They will never acquire the physical dexterity that growing up requires, they will never discover hidden talents and passions without experimentation. Plus, kids have a LOT of energy and need to just be FREE!! I completely 100% agree with this. Loosening the leash is an important step for both the child and the Mommy. It's hard at times cuz you don't want to see them fall/fail/hurt/disappointed, but at the same time they have been given these mortal bodies for a wise and glorious purpose...to use them!! To learn about joy, pain, exhileration, and danger. If I hold them back from fulfilling the measure of their creation, who am I?!? Sooooo...when you put it that way...

Anyway, interesting lesson. I know I need to relax a little bit and not be so "Robyn". Allow a few more messes to be made, permit a few grass and mud stains for the pursuit of F-U-N!!

What are your thoughts???

3 comments:

melanie said...

Definitely agreed!!

I love that phrase too, it is so wise.

Shalee said...

ugh. I totally forgot to watch Sister Wives last night.

I am trying to remember to let go- I think it's important, I still struggle with it!!

KC said...

Guess who else watches that show? Ha,ha!

I thought that this was a good lesson too. I've been trying to relax with the kids more too. It does take practice. :)

Miss ya, Suzy!