For some reason oldies music is like listening to nails scratching a chalk board. I don't know why, it's harmless enough...fun, light-hearted, catchy tunes, right??? Da doo run run run, Sherry, Earth Angel...just to name a few. Not so much for me, I'm not feeling it. When I hear it, it all sounds monotonous and kind of drones on and on with repetitive, simple lyrics that kind of annoy me. There are a few that don't make me cringe, but I couldn't tell you what they are off the top of my head. It's the fifties teeny-boppy type stuff that I'm talking about...the 1,2,3 o'clock, 4 o'clock rock type stuff...seriously tedious to my sensitive ears.
I think it all happened when I was a teenager and worked at Carriage Cleaners over the summer of my junior, senior, and freshman college years. There was no air-conditioning (is this the story of my life or what?!?), and with the heat coming off of the presses combined with the summer humidity, it was always a million degrees in there. I could barely will my limbs to raise and lower properly. I would be drenched, thirsty, tired, hot, and irritated at pretty much everything and anything (or is this the story of my life?!? LOL!). Add to that irritation was the fifties music that my manager would have blaring in the back of the Cleaners. For her, it got her through the work day. For me, it made me want to either jump off a bridge, or work that much harder in school so that working at a cleaners wasn't my only lot in life.
So that's where it started. Now when I hear it I have that same feeling...like my brain juice is being sucked out of my eyeballs. Ironic thing is that this past Monday I worked at Sparkle Cleaners for our Home teacher, Tim who was visiting family for Easter. When Tim is not working at his Cleaner's, he is a deejay for a radio show every Saturday night. His deejay persona is called the "Rock 'n' Roll Wizzard" (Yes, he spells wizard with two z's). He broadcasts Oldies music; mostly from the 50's through the early 70's. Guess what his stereo in the Cleaners is tuned to? If that isn't irony coming to bite me in the hiney I don't know what is. Being forced to listen to Oldies in a Cleaners again 20 years later. Wow. How'd I get so lucky?!?
2 comments:
he, he.. I had to compose myself at the Rock n Roll Wizzard part (the two z's are AWESOME!!)
For me it's most 80's music. I can't stand it. Being forced to listen for hours on end would be like unto surviving your own personal Hades. You've got my prayers Sister!!
I'm thinking those two 80's girls ... Shauna - '84 and Amy - '88 are probably drawing straws as to which of the two of you goes first !
As far as Dry Cleaners where you have worked ... "Sparkle" is by a long shot the best name ! Maybe he should spell it : "Sparkly" !
Post a Comment