The countertop is a laminate called Labrador Granite. We chose it because we couldn't afford actual granite, and because we wanted to go a little bolder with a darker countertop. I went back and forth for weeks on the countertop choice. When it came down to it, Mark made the final call. It's a little lighter than I expected. I kind of siked myself up for black, but it's more of a gray with lots of color and dimension. I love that even though it's a laminate it still has etching in it to give it depth.
The cabinets are made by Merrilat in a Medium Oak. My first choice was a white laminate cabinet, but it wasn't in the budget. These were my 2nd choice, but I really like how they turned out. They bring a lot of warmth and stability to the room. For the hardware, we chose brushed nickel knobs. I like how they dress up the cabinets and tie into the light fixtures and stainless steel sink fixtures.
I love how the faucet design echoes the curve of the light fixture above it. The faucet came from Dennis's garage. Mark said he found at least 5 or 6 different faucets to choose from. Apparently Dennis liked to have a lot of options...hee hee. Anyway, I love how it brings a little something from them to our everyday.
For lights we chose both canned light, and a few decorative fixtures. I went back and forth on this too. The lady in the store said to just do exterior fixtures, but then talking to my realtor sister and my SIL I decided that canned lights are the wave of the future and what every buyer is looking for. So that's where the canned lights came from. With both, I must say that we have one heck of a bright kitchen!! It's a little Vegas showroom at times...I could probably display some fine jewelry, or at least navigate a plane onto the breakfast bar landing strip. LOL!!
We decided to paint all of the trim white and it looks like a million bucks!! I love how the trim pops against the wall color. The wall color is Macademia by Sherwin Williams. After I picked it I found out that Erin and Melanie have the same color in their homes...great minds think alike!! It goes great with the tile too. As far as our dining room table, I would love to replace it too. Interesting how putting your old stuff into a new kitchen makes it look a little dingey, isn't it??? We'll have to put that on hold for awhile though.
IN the meantime, we will continue to bask in the glow of our beautiful kitchen and the plentiful brightness (ahem) it provides. Ha ha!!
5 comments:
Details appreciated ! And I see the Ikea shelving more clearly now, and like the way it breaks up the long wall, plus it gives a great place for the what-not that makes a kitchen part of a home.
I also think the table is the same kind of D/L reminder that the faucet is, and it blends w/the cabinets.
Melanie says every room needs "the unexpected" and I vote for the return of Parker's kitchen for that !
This post was so fun to read! Lots of light is my kind of kitchen! I LOVE the white trim & how everything came together. I agree with mom on the table-- though where does Parker sit??
Has Mark whipped up a batch of cookies to celebrate?? I think he should, and you should bring them in a carry-on to Denver. Just a suggestion... :)
PS- I think you should totally be a designer, Suz. You have such a good eye for this stuff!
You must have been reading my mind...I really wanted the details :) So pretty!
It looks awesome!
Post a Comment