Friday, May 4, 2012

Oh, Somebody had a birthday...



I had a great birthday, thanks to everyone for the well-wishes and thoughts.  I must admit that turning 38 feels a little awkward.  38 is so close to 40 that it's almost easier to just say, "I'm 40" when asked my age nowadays.  They really are running together at this point, I mean, I never thought I'd say that but it's kinda true.  So what's different when you're 38?

  • You have several more wrinkles, now appearing on hands and neck.  I didn't mind a few on my face, but getting old lady hands is kind of gnarly!
  • The wiry facial hairs that began to sprout at 33 are now in full-force, requiring daily reference checks and (AT LEAST) weekly maintenance and plucking!  (Sidenote:  OMG, I was sitting in the parking lot waiting for Maryn to finish her flute lesson, popped open the visor mirror, and I about screamed in horror!!  The hairs, they were OOC!  I will now be carrying a pair of tweezers in my car at all times...the daylight don't lie!!  LOL!!)
  • After being assigned a younger sister in our Ward to visit teach, I thought "oh that'll be nice, we can be buddies."  Then I realized I could actually be her Mother!  Young sisters in the Ward don't see me as a buddy anymore, they see me as a mother figure.  When did THAT happen?!?  Ha ha!!
  • I often can't believe that I'll have a child in middle school at the same time I have a child in preschool.
  • And that I'll be teaching my 12 year old to apply makeup at the same time I am continuing to change diapers.
  • I graduated 20 years ago.  Many of the students I work with at the Writing Center on campus were BORN the year I graduated, or now even after!!
  • I got back from my mission 16 years ago, which means I have almost completely forgotten the Czech language.  :(
  • I've been married for almost 14 years.  We've been through 3 presidential elections together.  This next one will be our 4th.  Random!?!  Ha ha!
  • I can't remember a lot of stuff.  For someone who prides herself on never forgetting a name or a face, or being uber-organized, I've become pretty forgetful these past few years.  
  • And also squishy...but that's another subject for another day.  
 I'm thinking it's not all that bad.  Along with the awkwardness, there are things that are fabulous about being 38.  Life is good, I have a lot to be thankful for, and a lot to look forward to.  One of which is that 40th bday just around the corner!!  Ha ha!!

In 1998, my roommate and I were determined to date more.  On New Year's Eve, we made up a catch-phrase that would become our mantra for the year...it was, "To DATE in '98!!"  Well, it worked because I actually found and married a MATE in '98!!  Ha ha.  In my birthday card this year, Mark wrote, "Let's date at 38!" (Cuz were the same age, har har!)  It's looking like a great age so far!!

6 comments:

melanie said...

Ack! Jeff & I were just saying we're hitting the point in our lives where we've known each other longer than we haven't. So wierd!!!

So besides "dating at 38"- do you have a bucket list before you hit the big four-oh???

J'Amy Day said...

I've been keeping a set of tweezers on hand in my car for the last few years...it's the best place w/ the best light to pluck those babies out!! :)

Shalee said...

This made me laugh. I hope 38 is great!!

Erin said...

Happy Birthday, Seestor! Love you! You totally have Papa to thank for your "wiry" facial hair! LOL!

(few moments later)...I still can't think of a cute rhyme for 2012! Anyone else??!

Paul and Linda said...

I am so laughing at the hands comment becuz at lunch today I commented on the age spots on my hands, and asked Erin who stuck my G-ma Blanche's hands on the ends of my wrists ?

And, though not tweezing I been squeezing blackheads off my nose in the car mirror for years !

Funny post ! No rhymers for 12, Erin, unless delve counts. You know the muskrat digs and delves ... ?

Shauna said...

Late to the party again . . . I know how you feel, only I'm hot on 50's tail . . . aagghh!

Happy birthday!