Monday, June 25, 2012

Midterm of my Madness

So today marks midterm for the summer semester.  I can honestly say I can't believe I made it!  The time has really flown by, and I am still standing.  I really wasn't sure what or how I would be feeling at this point.  Surprisingly not that bad!  Ha ha!  Teaching this summer has been a real learning experience for me. One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that I can do hard things.  This was a really tough challenge for me, but I have conquered my fear (for the most part), and am figuring things out as I go.  I am working hard, and it feels good to overcome my insecurities.  It's definitely helping me to figure out what I want to do next.  It's nice to feel like the world is my oyster.  I can do anything I want, I just have to choose.  Time is still a big factor, but that will work itself out.  I figure I just keep doing what I'm doing until Parker is in school.  Then I will probably start applying to grad programs.  Hopefully I can find something with a tuition waiver and teaching assistantship.  I guess that's where I see the purpose behind me getting some teaching experience now...hopefully that will make me a better candidate to getting an assistantship, which will essentially pay for me to go to school.  Which is where I also see divine intervention because at this point, we cannot afford any more student loans.  (Aye yi yi, different subject for another day.)  Anyway, it all seems to be unfolding before my eyes.  Hopefully it will continue on that trajectory.  I feel peaceful and trusting in this path.  It just feels right. 

In other news, summer is marching on.  We've started making weekly library trips on Mondays.  What is it about libraries and summer?  They are just meant to go together...like peanut butter and jelly, milk and cookies.  It's been fun.  Avery is sitting on her bed reading while we speak, and Maryn is reading her books under a tree on the west side of the house.  I read Parker several of hers while she was sitting on the potty before her nap.  (No, she didn't pee...aye yi yi!)  When it's too hot and humid to go outside, I guess this is the next best thing.

Maryn asked me an interesting question on the drive to her flute lesson this morning:  what are your 3 most favorite things about summer?

Her answer was going to Avery's softball games, vacation, and lemonade.

My answer is vacation, grilling out for meals, and watching the garden grow.  We have some early girls coming in already!!  Oh and fireflies too!! That's our favorite time to play outside lately...the fireflies come out just when the sun has first set...it's a small window of opportunity and only lasts for an hour or so.  Then they shut down for the night.  The girls chase them and capture them (they're really slow), while Mark and I watch from the porch.  Probably one of my favorite things about living where we do in the summertime.  It's really quite magical.

What about you, friends? 

5 comments:

Mark Brown said...

Yes, firefly time is absolutely one of the saving graces of summer in Illinois.

Sweet redesign, btw.

melanie said...

Lovin' the new look!!!

Ahh, Summertime! My kids remember firefly catching at Crystal Lake. Otherwise, they have only heard about such lore in books. lol! My 3 would be: 1. Spending the day in the pool 2. Trips to QT/Sonic for our daily drink fix 3. Vacation!

Paul and Linda said...

Adding my summertime trio :

1. Going to a large body of water, sticking my feet in its gentle and cooling waves, and watching my grandchildren splash around.
2. Reruns ... I love me some reruns. Currently watching old episodes of The Closer, The Mentalist, and Law and Order which never gets old !
and
3. Corn on the Cob from the Farmer's Mkt, Watermelon from Texas, and Georgia peaches. Wish tomatoes were still on my ok list ! Tomato slices on white bread w/s&p and plenty of mayo ... my formerly favorite summertime sandwich.

J'Amy Day said...

1. Definitely grilling and eating out on the deck.
2. "Beach Days" as we like to call them - with swimming, playing in the sand, and lots of runs out on the boat.
3. Staying up late and sleeping in, my friends!! :)

Erin said...

so glad the teaching experince turned out to be a good one! My summer fav's are:

1. All the yummy summer produce
2. Reading a mag in the shade while the boys run through the sprinkler
3. Daily Sonic runs! Those definatly "run" in the family! Diet coke, extra ice...w/ lime!