I love magazines. Particularly of the ones targeted for my demographic...busy, middle-aged, suburban Mom who manages work and kids, etc....Better Homes and Gardens, Taste of Home, Family Fun, Woman's Day, Family Circle, Food Network, HGTV, O, Martha Stewart, the list could go on and on.
One of the reasons I love them is that it requires very little brain power to enjoy them. I can open a magazine, read for 5 minutes, and be able to put it down with no commitments. I love feasting my eyes on the visual splendor of a magazine. The glossy pages filled with inspiring projects, beautifully decorated rooms, and delicious meals. I love everything about them!! They are my guilty pleasure I guess.
I picked up an issue of Woman's Day the other day. It was the cover that sucked me in. An attractive combination of a cute color scheme, and yummy looking pasta dish inside called to me...little did I know I would find more than that in it's contents.
As I flipped through the pages, I came across a half page column by the infamous Joel Osteen, famous televangelist extraordinaire. I can't decide if he's a hoax or not yet. He seems too smiley, manicured, and shiny. Also, his southern accent is just a little too "adorable" for me I guess. Anyway...his advice caught me off-guard. It made sense. It spoke to me. Seriously?!? But it really does make sense y'all. Behold, I give you Joel Osteen's 5 Small Changes To Transform Your Life. Stop laughing! Just read it. Think about it. See if you aren't moved a little too. Then at least I won't feel weird. kthanksbye.
1. Find the gift in each day.
How you start the day is going to determine what kind of day you have. Instead of waking up and thinking, "I don't want to..." focus on the positive things.
2. Don't give away your power.
Every day we have plenty of opportunities to get angry, stressed, or offended...but by indulging these negative emotions, we are giving away our power to control our own happiness. You can choose NOT to let things upset you.
3. Know whom to ignore.
Having an argument with someone who's not important to you should roll off your shoulders. Save the time and effort for resolving conflicts with the people you cherish.
4. Be a victor, not a victim.
See the positive in negative events...nothing happens to you, it happens for you. See your trials as blessings.
5. Celebrate others' success.
We live in a culture that relishes tearing people down. It's better to help people reach their goals. Instead of feeling jealous, remember: If God did it for them, He can do it for me too.
3 comments:
I suddenly have the urge to go buy a good magazine.
And I agree with you on Joel Olsteen...something's not right there, but he made some good points!
I don't even know who Joel Olsteen is, but I like his points as well!! My favorite is #1. I'm usually crawling out of bed most mornings, why is waking up so hard?!!? Haha!!
Marcia, one of my former housekeepers whom I had to let go because she was c-r-a-z-y (seriously) loved Joel ! She felt he was "inspiring and spoke directly to God" so why was I undecided abt him ? I answered that Pres. Monson was more inspiring, and I knew he spoke directly to God !
His five points are good, tho, and I personally need to employ #5.
(Marcia also worshipped Dr. Oz, but we won't go there today ... right ?)
Post a Comment