Sunday, June 16, 2013
Father's Day Top Ten
10. Going downtown Detroit for the Thanksgiving parades and the Fourth of July fireworks when I was a kid. My Dad braved the crowds, not to mention the thugs downtown, to give us the opportunity to have some holiday fun! I remember very distinctly the year that we went to the Thanksgiving parade in our red station wagon, and upon returning to the car after the parade was over found that the back window had been smashed open and the rear spare tires stolen!! We had to hold a blanket in the window on the way home so we wouldn't freeze, and then had to tape it up with a black garbage bag at home until we could get it fixed. As a parent now, I wouldn't have reacted very well to that whole scenario, but my Dad did!
9. FORD MOTOR COMPANY!! I am so brand loyal, that when Mark and I broke down and had to buy a Dodge Grand Caravan before Parker was born I felt like I was betraying a sacred bond or something. LOL!! I recognize how hard my Dad worked at a company that provided our family with a very nice, comfortable life! I am so impressed and proud of the fact that he worked there his whole career...over 35 years! I bet the day after his retirement must have felt so strange NOT to have to hop in the little blue truck to make that treacherous commute to Dearborn EVER again!!
8. While working for Ford, he would often spend a lot of his time teaching seminars and doing management training courses all over the Metro area. One place that he would often teach at a lot was the Hilton in Northville. Because of his "connections", they let us use the pool a few times! In addition to the pool, what was cool about this place was that they had all the free, hot popcorn you could stand!! He would take us swimming there in the evenings, and bring buckets of popcorn home for us to munch on! Even though my memory of this is a little sketchy, I remember it with a lot of fondness.
7. The Daddy Daughter Dinner Dance Mexican Fiesta when I was 11. I know I've blogged about this one before, but this was such a special night for me and my Dad. I felt special, and proud to be his date. And I realized for the first time, that he was actually not a bad dancer!
6. Our backyard POOL!! How many summers did Dad sacrifice MOST, if not ALL of his time after work and on weekends taking care of our pool?!? Wow! I can't even imagine! But it was one of the BEST things I remember about summers growing up in our Golfview house. I loved the pool! Sometimes so much I'd end up a broiled lobster by the end of the day, but jump right back in the next morning. I remember going to the pool store in Plymouth with our little water sampling kits in order to get chlorine and the supplies we needed to keep everything working properly. Those were fun mornings with my Dad helping him out and spending time together.
5. The Wilderness Youth Conference when I was 14. It was my first Youth Conference, and we were going into the wilderness to do high adventure stuff and "rough it". I had really, big hair back then and was looking at not having access to my arsenal of hair-doing devices for a whole week, in front of boys!! It was really the true definition of "roughing it" for me at that point in my life. My Dad was one of the leaders that year, and I remember seeing him every now and then out at the high adventure spots, handing out Gatorades to the youth and leaders. I remember being so glad and relieved to see him!! It was so good to have him there, and I remember feeling really safe knowing that if I needed him, he'd be close by. I also remember the last day, we got letters from our parents for us to read on our "solo journey". His letter was so sweet and I will never forget the way it made me feel. I knew my Dad loved me and I was special.
4. My Dad only has 1 lung. I have really vague memories of this because I know I was really young when he had the surgery. What I do remember is climbing all over him in his hospital bed, and while he recovered at home. He had one of those "breathing machines" where you have to blow in to make the little ping pong ball rise to the top. I remember thinking that was my toy, and I'm pretty sure he let me. Since his surgery, I remember noticing that when he slept, only one side of his chest would rise up and down. Remembering that my Dad only had 1 lung when he would be working hard on the pool, or in the yard made me appreciate him all the more. He never complained, but got the work done anyway. His example taught me that you can overcome physical obstacles, and not letting it hold you back.
3. Going through my Mom's heart attack brought my Dad and I closer. I remember the morning after my Mom's heart attack, coming downstairs to the kitchen and seeing my Dad sitting in her chair situated between the table and the counter by the phone, with the family calendar on the table in front of him. What a surreal moment that must have been for him. Looking at this full calendar of activities and obligations for five of his six kids, and the realization that he was in charge. I remember feeling the mantle of my place in our family very distinctly at that point in my life. I was 12, and I was the "woman of the house" while Mom was away. Shauna was at school by this time, and the boys were busy with high school and jobs. I was the next oldest in charge of the "little girls". I set to work that day making sure the laundry continued to get done, lunches packed, house picked up and straightened, and helper of the meals that would be brought in by so many Relief Society sisters. I know my Dad was grateful that it was one less thing he had to worry about. I wanted to make him proud by helping him, and my family by doing the best I could.
2. Service with a smile. My Dad gets the best hometeacher EVER award. Especially during the "Joyce Kotlarek" years. LOL!! What other hometeacher is willing to help a cranky old lady who calls him at 11 pm to tell him she's got some diarrhea and can he run to Perry Drug and get her some Immodium?!? Who will ever forget all of that?!?
1. Priesthood. One of the stories about my birth that I love is that my Dad had to miss Stake Conference (when he was in the presidency) because I was being born!! From that time on, my Dad has always been an example of the Priesthood and service in my life. His Prieshood has blessed me all through growing up...father's blessings before the start of the school year, before starting jobs, before going to college, on my mission, getting married, etc. He has always been able to do it, and the first person I look to when I needed extra strength and support. To this day, his blessings are important in my life and I am grateful that he is now able to bless all of our kids through his calling as Patriarch. Thank you for always being worthy and representing Christ in our home, Dad. I love you, and am grateful for you today on this Father's day!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
This is so sweet and loving. And yet my favorite part is the Imodium. Is that wrong?
Love this tribute!! Happy Father's Day to our wonderful, kind, amazing Dad. Definitely a GREAT top ten walk down memory lane!!
PS. It is spelled "Purry" when speaking in Joyce Kotlarek-speak. Immodium. I literally laughted OUT loud.
Great post, Suzanne Marie-a-lion !
Scott finished our garden on Saturday, and Dad was telling me how he wished he could still do the yard work. It is very hard for him to relinquish responsibilities especially those he has assigned himself.
We went to Joyce's funeral ... did we tell you that ? It was sad when Bp. Llewelyn opened it up for those in attendance to pay their respects ... the HT present, and the HT past (Dad) and me. Sad.
great post, Suz!Such a great tribute to a great DAd. Your memory is amazing! I am reading these things and saying...oh yeah! :)
Post a Comment