Amidst all of the chaos of finishing summer semester, selling our house, packing our house, finding a place to live, and MOVING we were able to take some time out for the Day Family Reunion at Crystal Lake! I'm so glad we did! I was able to forget about the madness at home, and really just soak up time with my family and it was wonderful!!
Here are a few pics that I remembered to take...but sadly, there were so many missed photo opps. The week was jam-packed of fun memories!!
The first day we kicked off the event with lunch in Beulah, followed by family pics taken by Kristen Pierson. So glad we have a photog in our midst now!! That night we had a opening ceremony where the Griswolds had burned CDs that had a family song from each of the families. We had to guess which song belonged to who by what was going on in their lives over the past 3 years. Now we have a fun momento to listen to as well!
The second day was tubing down the lazy river. Much of the family attended, but those who didn't hung out on the beach and had a good time anyway.
The 2nd night we had a new Day family tradition: The Chopped Challenge!! Teams consisted of each original Day child with one of their kids. The first round was dessert, and the winners from that round went onto the final round of appetizers. The overall winner took home the coveted "Day Family Chopped Champions apron" until the next reunion. The Normans did a great job organizing this event!
Avery and I were the Chopped Challenge Champions!! We are soo proud!!
The third day we took a trip to Sleeping Bear Sand dunes, and conquered the mountain! It took forever, but we made it! The view was spectacular!
We took a scenic drive over to the dunes overlooking Lake Michigan. The drop was so significant that they had warning signs for potential hikers. It reminded hikers that rescue efforts would be at their "own expense". Haha!!
Obviously, I chose not to take the hike down to the lake...didn't want to have to pay my rescue worker's fees to bring me back up the dune. :)
The third night many of the families went into Frankfort for souvenir shopping and dinner out, and we all joined back up that night for s'mores with a beautiful sunset! These two lovebirds (Ryan and Gretchen) took advantage of the scenery and I couldn't help snapping this pic!
The fourth day we did the annual pillowcases where all the cousins decorate their own pillowcase and then they all sign each others. The ladies did some crafts after the kids were done. That afternoon we had to say goodbye to the Normans and Ryan Day's family. It was so strange after they left, but it was also nice to be able to get more talk time with the remaining families.
The last night we had a big backyard bbq, and then took night boat rides. It was a great way to finish off the festivities.
I seriously don't know if I can wait until Summer of 2016 for the next one...sniff, sniff. This was one of the last reunions where EVERYONE would be able to attend. By the time the next one rolls around, a lot of the grandkids will be mission-age, married, in school, etc. It makes me all teary to think about. Time marches on, and I am hoping that my kids have strong enough bonds with my family to always know who their family is, and that they are LOVED by so many awesome people.
Huge shout outs to the people behind the scenes who made this whole thing possible!! Everybody played a part somehow, and it wouldn't have been so special without all the extra steps people took to make it that way! I love you all so much!!
2 comments:
Hooray! I agree, 2016 seems much too far away. It was, as always, an incredible week of fun. I absolutely heart Crystal Lake. (except for that weird swimmers itch thing!?!?! haha!)
hooray is right! Love your pics and summary. Such a fun week!
Post a Comment