Maryn recently started PHASE 2 of her Orthodontia, which means sparkly braces on the top and bottom for 2 years!!!! Whoa, Nelly!
To go with her new braces, we decided she needed a new 'do. She immediately begged for the "Jennifer Lawrence".
(On a sidenote, do you remember when the "Jennifer Aniston" was popular? You could walk into a salon anywhere in the US, and say "I want the 'Jennifer Aniston'," and they'd know exactly what you were talking about. The reason I say "anywhere in the US is that this time period just so happened to coincide with my time as a missionary outside of the US, in the Czech Republic of all places! In the best broken Czech I could muster at only the 5 month mark of my service, I asked for something that could loosely be translated as "bangs, with floppy layers all over". Ummm, yeah...not the best decision I have made in my life. Needless to say it didn't turn out as much like "Jennifer Aniston" as I was hoping. On another sidenote, it took me the rest of my mission and even after I got home to correct that decision, but I digress.
Nobody would've known what hairstyle I had, as each day I hid it under my raspberry wool beret anyway shielding my poor, delicate head from the harsh, winter elements of the great white north. LOL! Seriously, the old Babichkas of the CZ were CONVINCED that if you didn't cover your head in the winter, you would automatically shrivel up and DIE! They would cluck and point, and fuss until you covered your head if you were out in public. Makes me laugh remembering that!! Wow, long SIDENOTE!!)
Anyhoo, I shot down Maryn's request to get the "Jennifer Lawrence". I think the hairstyle is darling, but not for a growing (and somewhat awkward) 13 year old. It's just not the right time. All I could imagine was super short hair, big black glasses, 2 rows of silver braces, etc....you get the picture. I love her too much to let her do that to herself, or have her ask me 10 years from now, "WHY did you let me do THAT!?!" while sifting through pictures of THAT period of her life. Haha!
So anyway, she got her hair did, and it turned out great! I think it's enough of a change for her to feel sassy and fresh. (Not like she needs a whole lot of help in the sassy department...she IS 13 years old after all!!)
Watching her locks fall to the floor inspired me to look inward and do some soul searching...haha!! I was ready for a change as well. I needed some highlights, but I also figured I'd trim up the ends a bit. I seriously did not go into the salon asking for her to make it short. It just happened. I was a trooper about it, but when I got home I panicked. It's fine now. I've had this style before, so I can adapt. It's sure refreshing though! I can barely squeak out a ponytail now, which is forcing me to actually make an effort in the morning. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
Anyway, here's to a NEW YEAR, A NEW PLACE, and a NEW 'DO!!!!

.jpg)
.jpg)
4 comments:
I already sung it's praises on "the facebook", but I love it! Even unintentional as it was, it is so cute on you. Love Maryn's cute wavy locks, and yes, a pixie is quite a commitment I don't think a 13 year old can truly understand, haha!!
Your mission stories are so fun to read, you should write more of them. Whenever I read them I think of "ovecné knedlicky"(I remember stinky goat cheese & this from your fresh-off-the-mish days)-- because all mission stories should involve fruit dumplings, yes??
Shauna … do you remember your 7th gr. perm look ? I completely understand Suzy's reluctance about Jennifer Lawrence.
cute! Love both of you new "do's"! And sparkly braces?! Fancy.
p.s. I totally remember your raspberry beret. I would try it on from time to time...;)
I think Jeff had a 7th grade perm, too. Ha ha!
Love both of your haircuts and I agree with Melanie, I loved your long side-note of the mish!
Post a Comment