So August is half over, and I'm starting to panic that the summer is almost gone, and we really haven't enjoyed it to the fullest. We decided to seize the moment last Saturday and took a drive north-east towards Port Huron. We just kind of wanted to explore, and see if maybe we could visit the camp I worked at during the summer of '94. The drive was nice...that would have been enough in itself, although Avery (in classic 4-yr. old style) kept pressing us with "are we there yet's" till we could barely stand it anymore. We finally pulled off the road past Lexington at a Dairy Queen to get cones and satiate Avery's eagerness. Back in the car and about 5 more miles up the road, we saw the great big blue sign for "Camp Stapleton". I was hesitant at first because the camp isn't too far off the road and if there were campers there, it would be a major no-no for visitors to just drop in unannounced. The place was a ghost-town. Not run-down or deserted, just empty. We spotted a car pulled up in front of one of the little cabins and inquired about the current status of camp. They were unloading for a week of rented, private family camping. (Needless to say, we have a good idea what our family vacation will be next summer... ) They were happy to let us wander around and let me recapture my youth. That we did. The cabins were just as I remembered except nicer...fresh paint, new bunks and mattresses, although everything looked smaller (as it often does as an adult going back).
Thursday, August 16, 2007
(Some of) My Glory Days
We wandered, and I jabbered about camp memories to Mark and the girls, and it was a lovely afternoon. We made our way down to the beachfront of one of our "greats", and the girls could hardly resist ripping off their sandals to get in the water! We let them put suits on and wade and dig in the sand for awhile. It was the perfect way to "enjoy" our summer while it's still here. We eventually pulled ourselves away and got some dinner in Port Huron. Only Avery got a sunburn that day, and hopefully it will last long enough to remember our "summer fun".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
sounds like such a relaxing, fun day! :)
What a cool idea!
The pictures are beautiful... playing at the lake is definitely the perfect way to spend a summer day.
Why is it we always think Lake Michigan and forget how beautiful Lake Huron is, too. And beautiful little girls ! I love the empty shoes shot !
What was the name of that camp in Utah you worked at? Weren't you the Queen bee there?
Camp Trefoil was in Provo Canyon, and yes I was the Queen Bee for winter camps, and Assistant Queen Bee for summer camps. They were a horse-riding camp kind of like what Riley and Hannah did this past summer.
I miss those days...especially during the summer when I'm stuck in cubie-land.
Suzy
Post a Comment