
For the past year, Avery has struggled with the whole #2 thing. Not to gross everyone out, but she has this thing with cleaning up after the job is done, so to speak. We ask her why, and she says "it's yucky" or "she forgot". Sometimes, she even lies and says she did and then we find the evidence that she actually didn't later on in the laundry hamper. Needless to say, we've spent lots of time talking (yelling), bribing, scrubbing, and trying to figure out how to get over this hump. We teamed up with her teachers at school and devised a plan...nothing too extreme or disciplinary (because Ave does not respond to the disciplinary), and made up a chart. Avery could receive a smiley face each day she kept her panties clean and if she succeeded to fill all the boxes up by the end of about 2 months she could get anything she wanted. (Honestly, what were we thinking? We were desperate, and sick of cleaning disgusting underwear, that's what!!) So she eventually did it! Thinking we were pretty smart, but more ecstatic to not have to perform bum-checks on her, we offered her prize. "What do you want Avery?" "Um, I think I want a pet...how bout a dog?" (Not an option) "...how bout a frog?" (after some research, also not an option) "...how bout a swingset?" "Hmmm...well, okay I guess." I started looking online and we eventually settled on an inexpensive set from Wal-Mart (I know, I know I shopped at Wal-Mart!! Honestly, it's been over a year since I shopped there, but they were the only place that still had some in stock that wasn't way overpriced...although I felt really cheap afterwards.) Anyway, I was big-time hesitant when we bought it. I had read the online reviews of these sets taking hours of manual labor, and frustrated parents having to re-drill holes and buy new hardware, etc. I feared for what this may do to our home life...(flashbacks of having to replace a light fixture in Boise still haunts me). I decided to be available for help, but mostly tried to stay out of his way as he began the process of lining up holes and inserting pre-packaged screws and bolts. I didn't hear a peep. I even left to shop for awhile, and when I returned the thing was half-up and he was just working on attaching the seesaw. Needless to say, I was really impressed. The whole swingset was assembled within a few hours, and the girls were happily swinging and sliding by evening. Avery got her prize and has (almost) successfully kept her pants clean!! And hopefully we will not have to resort to such cheap bribery tactics again...
yeah, right!
5 comments:
You are all living proof that bribery works ! I, your loving, faithful, thrifty, brave, and reverent Mother, PAID you to rub my aching shoulders from doing your laundry, fixing your meals, driving you and your bus loads of friends everywhere in NW Wayne Co.There is no question as to how low I would go !
Good for Avery! Keep those panties clean!!
Keep up the good work Avery!
That swingset looks like a lot of fun-- and is MUCH easier than a dog.
:)
I'm supposed to mention that the "he" I was referring to in my post was in fact, Mark. He was the one who assembled the infamous swingset in record time. (Just in case you were wondering.)
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know if the "he" came with the swingset - ya know how sometimes they give those little handy ratchets to screw your screws in packaged desks, etc.
Hopefully Avery will still find the inspiration from it all.
Get those cute little Disney wipes. Maybe she'll like those?
Post a Comment