Monday, June 16, 2008

A Belated Father’s Day Wish

This is my Dad. He turned 70 this year.


I was reflecting on some of his life stories as I was preparing my Father’s Day talk for yesterday. This quote is taken from the “Combined Vision Statement” presented at the Day Family Reunion at Snow Mountain Ranch, July 2007. It describes something that I admire a lot about my Dad. He is a hard worker and is always willing to sacrifice himself, his time, talents, etc. for a worthy cause.

“As most of you know, I was raised in a large family during the 1940’s and
1950’s. My Father often worked two jobs to provide for us. Mom took in students
from BYU to help supplement what Dad brought home in his paychecks, and to make
ends meet. We lived in a big home and were a happy family. We never had to worry
about having a roof over our head, sufficient food, or clothing. We were
encouraged to get jobs to provide the extra’s that teens believe they need. We
were also encouraged to save our money to accomplish future goals like college
and missions.

I have memories of some of my early jobs, such as delivery
of the Deseret News each evening and Sunday morning for six years before I was
15. Also, during the two summers while I attended Farrer Jr. High School, I was
hired to work with the head gardener at Provo City Power plant. I helped cut the
lawns with a power mower, watered the lawns and shrubbery, and helped to trim
the decorative shrubs around the plant. I worked at Provo Bakery during my years
at Provo High School. My work involved clean-up of the Bakery work area each
evening and on Saturday morning. I washed the pots and pans the bakers used for
the various baked goods. I really didn’t care for this work because during the
winter months it interfered with my love of basketball. Also, during that time I
really enjoyed participating in the annual Timpanogos hike sponsored by the City
and BYU. While the hike was so exciting and enjoyable, I had to return to work
on Saturday afternoon, bone tired, to do my cleaning chores. When I graduated
from High School, my uncle Grant hired me to work for Strong Company, a road
construction company. I worked on the labor gang the first summer before my
freshman year, and then drove gravel truck and water tanker the remaining three
years.

Each job did provide some of the extra money I needed. Mom used
to tell me how proud she was that I was able to provide for my own needs and
then some. The money was used for school clothes, movies, gas for the car, and
often loans to balance the family budget. Later on I was able to fund the
purchase of all of the clothing I would need for my mission to England, and
support my living expenses the first year.”

Thanks for living this life lesson for me, Dad, and for your wisdom and example!
And Happy Father’s Day!!

2 comments:

J'Amy Day said...

I love those stories! It's something my kids need to hear again. There's nothing like reaping the benefits of getting your hands dirty and working hard.

Jeff learned those lessons, too, from your Dad. When we were camping, my friend, Celeste, commented that she was tired just watching Jeff work around our campsite. He was cooking peach cobbler in our dutch oven, blowing up our mattresses, and setting up an outdoor theater for all the kids to watch a movie - all at the same time! When something needs doing and Jeff is around, consider it done!

Paul and Linda said...

Gettting quoted in the Day Family blog is quite an honor. I do love each of our children and grand-children. You are all very special to me. Thanks very much for your welcome F.D. contribution to my shirt wardrobe. I love the pattern and style and will wear it with pride knowing that you selected it.