Thursday, June 5, 2008

Crazy for Salad

Chicken and Strawberry Salad

1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
5 Tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 quarts salad mix, rinsed
2 1/2 cups strawberries, cut into bite sized pieces

Dressing
Combine the following to taste:
1/2 cup mayo
3 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds

1. Mix 3 Tbsp. tarragon, garlic, and oil. Rub all over chicken to coat.
2. Set pan over medium heat. Add and heat olive oil. When hot, add chicken and cook until meat is white. Use chicken in the salad either warm or cool.
3. Combine salad mix with strawberries and the other 2 Tbsp. fresh tarragon. Place chicken along the side and drizzle with dressing. Alternately, when serving a group or a in a potluck setting, cube or shred the chicken and combine with dressing for easier serving.

I stole this recipe from a new website that I found called "Light Refreshments Served". It's a bunch of Mormon women writers, one of which is one of my favorite authors, Emily Watts. That woman cracks me up and I love all of her books. When I saw this recipe for this salad, I thought this was something that even my girls would like. It turned out pretty well. I didn't have the almonds, so I added blueberries instead, although I think both would also be lovely. I would also recommend going easy on the fresh tarragon...it made the salad almost too pungent and "licorice-y". Otherwise, it was a tasy keeper. I'm looking forward to more tasty summer salads to come this year...if you have any faves, post them in my comments.

Thanks and Doubrou Chut!! (Czech equivalent of Bon Appetit)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

This recipe is making me hungry! I'd skip the tarragon (licorice taste makes me puke). TMI?

Paul and Linda said...

Phyllis Wittrock gave me this recipe sometime ago ! It is also served at Macy's. Just don't let it get hammered to death like the Mandarin Chicken salad served at Applebee's all the way through it's morphis to Wendy's where it (the Asian Chicken Salad) is not half bad !