Well, I finished. In one piece. A little sore and breathless, but complete nonetheless. I can’t believe it. That was a thought that kept me going actually. “I can’t believe I’m finally doing this! I can’t believe how far I’ve come.” It kept me going. For those of you who may not know my story (probably only a few), I’ve come a long way baby!
My Story
As a teenager I was always chubby. For a lot of reasons really. I was probably genetically predisposed to gaining weight easily, but I was also extremely inactive. Most days I’d come home from school and take a nap on the couch until dinner, and then get up, eat, do my homework and go back to bed. Not a lot of exercisin’ going on. I also ate more than I needed to. We all do it (right?). Too many calories in and not enough calories out. It’s a simple equation that reaps unfortunate results. Anyway, I was chubby growing up. I’d go on crash diets every year or so and lose the weight, only to turn around and gain it right back. This went on for probably 6 or 7 years. I was at my heaviest my senior year of high school. I didn’t go to my Prom. I wasn’t happy. I went on another crash diet that Spring. By the time I went to College, I was down 30 or 40 pounds. By the time I went on my Mission I had about 40-50 lbs. remaining that I wanted to lose. And I did it on my Mission. When I got off the plane, nobody recognized me! I was at the thinnest of my life, and it felt great. I stayed pretty active and in shape while I was single, and when I married Mark I wore a size 6 wedding dress. Never thought that would happen! After the honeymoon, the weight started creeping back on. Lots of reasons once again. I thought I could eat like my skinny little groom…mac ‘n’ cheese at midnight, ya know what I’m sayin? And I stopped exercisin’ in favor of snuggling on the couch and watching movies. When I got pregnant with Maryn, I really started gaining fast and it put me right back where I was at my heaviest in high school. And my weight hovered in that range through my second pregnancy, and afterwards. It wasn’t until Avery was almost 3 that I finally decided to get serious.
My Story
As a teenager I was always chubby. For a lot of reasons really. I was probably genetically predisposed to gaining weight easily, but I was also extremely inactive. Most days I’d come home from school and take a nap on the couch until dinner, and then get up, eat, do my homework and go back to bed. Not a lot of exercisin’ going on. I also ate more than I needed to. We all do it (right?). Too many calories in and not enough calories out. It’s a simple equation that reaps unfortunate results. Anyway, I was chubby growing up. I’d go on crash diets every year or so and lose the weight, only to turn around and gain it right back. This went on for probably 6 or 7 years. I was at my heaviest my senior year of high school. I didn’t go to my Prom. I wasn’t happy. I went on another crash diet that Spring. By the time I went to College, I was down 30 or 40 pounds. By the time I went on my Mission I had about 40-50 lbs. remaining that I wanted to lose. And I did it on my Mission. When I got off the plane, nobody recognized me! I was at the thinnest of my life, and it felt great. I stayed pretty active and in shape while I was single, and when I married Mark I wore a size 6 wedding dress. Never thought that would happen! After the honeymoon, the weight started creeping back on. Lots of reasons once again. I thought I could eat like my skinny little groom…mac ‘n’ cheese at midnight, ya know what I’m sayin? And I stopped exercisin’ in favor of snuggling on the couch and watching movies. When I got pregnant with Maryn, I really started gaining fast and it put me right back where I was at my heaviest in high school. And my weight hovered in that range through my second pregnancy, and afterwards. It wasn’t until Avery was almost 3 that I finally decided to get serious.
Road to Victory
It was January of 2006. I didn’t join Weight Watchers (again!) this time, but I did join a gym. I started going 3 times a week, just walking on the treadmill…slooooow walking on the treadmill. Eventually it got brisker, and then I started doing the bikes, and some weight machines. Eventually I started doing 5 minutes on the Elliptical. The Elliptical was my nemesis, but I wanted to conquer it. As I built up strength (out of nothing) in my legs, I started jogging for 2 minutes, then 5, but always ended my workouts with walking. I remember I didn’t jog for 20 minutes consecutively until I moved to Michigan in the Spring of 2006. And it went up from there…slowy longer durations of jogging, and then a faster pace of jogging, until I actually wasn’t jogging anymore, I was running. It hurt and I was always sore and out of breath, and felt like a red-faced sweaty mess after every workout. But it worked!! The pounds came off faster, my stamina increased, and I had more energy afterwards. The endorphins kicked in and I felt a new excitement about life, and it kept depression at bay. It was the answer to so many of my trials and obstacles in life. I was hooked.
I ran the Detroit Free Press 5K in October of 2006. I remember thinking it would be so cool to return and run the half-marathon the next year. Well it didn’t happen the next year, but it did 2 years later! At least I didn’t give up! I’m so glad I didn’t. There’s a lot of satisfaction in achieving your goals. I feel really good about that.
The race was exciting and fun and I’m so glad I did it. Seeing the sun rise while running across the Ambassador bridge into Canada was breathtaking. Running along the Detroit River in Windsor was beautiful, and the Fall colors were radiant. Seeing the crowds and hearing everyone cheering us on when we crossed back over into Detroit was so fun! I couldn’t help but smile and get all excited. It was a very memorable experience. I pushed myself throughout the entire race. I can honestly say I did my best. I’m sore today, but otherwise I feel great.
Thanks to all of you for encouraging me and cheering me on. I appreciate all of your support and love.
It was January of 2006. I didn’t join Weight Watchers (again!) this time, but I did join a gym. I started going 3 times a week, just walking on the treadmill…slooooow walking on the treadmill. Eventually it got brisker, and then I started doing the bikes, and some weight machines. Eventually I started doing 5 minutes on the Elliptical. The Elliptical was my nemesis, but I wanted to conquer it. As I built up strength (out of nothing) in my legs, I started jogging for 2 minutes, then 5, but always ended my workouts with walking. I remember I didn’t jog for 20 minutes consecutively until I moved to Michigan in the Spring of 2006. And it went up from there…slowy longer durations of jogging, and then a faster pace of jogging, until I actually wasn’t jogging anymore, I was running. It hurt and I was always sore and out of breath, and felt like a red-faced sweaty mess after every workout. But it worked!! The pounds came off faster, my stamina increased, and I had more energy afterwards. The endorphins kicked in and I felt a new excitement about life, and it kept depression at bay. It was the answer to so many of my trials and obstacles in life. I was hooked.
I ran the Detroit Free Press 5K in October of 2006. I remember thinking it would be so cool to return and run the half-marathon the next year. Well it didn’t happen the next year, but it did 2 years later! At least I didn’t give up! I’m so glad I didn’t. There’s a lot of satisfaction in achieving your goals. I feel really good about that.
The race was exciting and fun and I’m so glad I did it. Seeing the sun rise while running across the Ambassador bridge into Canada was breathtaking. Running along the Detroit River in Windsor was beautiful, and the Fall colors were radiant. Seeing the crowds and hearing everyone cheering us on when we crossed back over into Detroit was so fun! I couldn’t help but smile and get all excited. It was a very memorable experience. I pushed myself throughout the entire race. I can honestly say I did my best. I’m sore today, but otherwise I feel great.
Thanks to all of you for encouraging me and cheering me on. I appreciate all of your support and love.
Here’s the stats:
Chip Time: 2:16:00
Clock Time: 2:17:53
Overall: 3379
Female: 1497
Division: 261
Chip Time: 2:16:00
Clock Time: 2:17:53
Overall: 3379
Female: 1497
Division: 261
14 comments:
Didja hear us ? We were at Mile Marker 20 or 21 on Michigan and Gr. River before you made the turn to hustle on down to the Campus Martius ! Dad swears he saw you wearing a blue shirt. (Mark said you were wearing white ! ) Anyway, we were there somewhere .
Though we didn't see you, we did see Santa ... he was running alongside a pack of 1/2 marathoners. Jest gettin' in shape for his big run in Dec., I guess !
Way to go Suzy. You are awesome! What a great example of determination and hard work to so many.
Yes, truly you rock the proverbial casbah.
btw, who you callin' "skinny, little groom?"
You came. You ran. You kicked it!
Way to go!
You are an inspiration to chubby girls like me! :)
Right On, Suzy! We are so proud of you !! Coming up next -- A Marathon with your bro and sis????
Suzy -- you did such a great job! What an amazing first half! Loved having lunch with you today and hearing about the race. Time to start thinking about the next one ;-).
congrats!
jd
You are awesome...(bowing)"I'm not worthy!!!"
Love, A
you are amazing!!!!!!!! i miss you and as always--you inspire me!
great job, Suz! :)
Suz...You are truly an inspiration!! I am so proud of you and your accomplishments!
Hugs,
Sheila
congratulation!!!....what an accomplishment :)
WAHOO!!! You are amazing and inspiring! I'm so proud of all your hard work and for accomplishing your goal! Way to go!!
Suzy ROOOOOCKS! Wow, I'm so impressed and so looking up to you and maybe just a teensy bit jealous! Congrats on such an awesome success!
Post a Comment