Wednesday, March 4, 2009

One Year Older and Wiser Too...



...Haaaapy Birthday, (clap) TO YOU!!

Happy Birthday to my Dad, who is (71) today!! I don't think he would mind me telling you that. I think he wears the badge proudly, and he should. My Dad is like Dick Clark that way...he really doesn't show his true age. Many men his age are completely gray, and not getting around as easily. Not Dad. He's still only salt and peppery and is still getting around a lot!! As a matter of fact, I'd say he gets out and does more now than he did before he ever retired!!

I am grateful for my Dad. He is really a great person. He has a heart of gold. He is loving, forgiving, and kind. He is charitable, wise, and sensitive. He serves regardless of whether he'll get anything in return. He is a tremendous example to me and everyone he comes in contact with. He has served faithfully as the Stake Patriarch now for many years and it has really helped him to grow. I have seen him become more in tune with the Spirit and reverent in his disposition (not that he was ever that wild 'n' crazy, leave that up to his kids!), and he has truly dedicated himself to his calling. I know that it's not always easy to keep yourself open and worthy for that kind of communication with our Heavenly Father, and I think even he has learned many lessons along the way. I applaud him for never giving up.

The following picture is one of my favorite memories with my Dad. This is when I was a Merry Miss...remember that name? Thank heavens the primary did away with that name!! One of the activities you look forward to doing as a "Merry Miss" is having a "Daddy Daughter Dinner Date". And we did!! We started planning way in advance and came up with a Mexican theme. On the invitation it says, "come join me for some Mexicon (sic) food, ole? (meaning okay?)" I was hilarious. I think we even did some of the cooking. The night of the event, we dressed up in our Sunday clothes, and had a Mexican fiesta with our Dads at the Church. It was so fun, and I remember being so excited to have my Dad (who I had to share with many other siblings) to myself that night. He made me feel really special and like a little lady. I appreciate his sense of humor and his affection. Thanks for making such a fun memory for me Dad, and I wish you many more happy memories to come!!

circa 1985...that would have been the beginning of 6th grade for me.
P.S. And my brother Jeff will appreciate this picture because I'm wearing "the Charmer" necklace, which he openly mocked, but seriously coveted. HA! I wish I still had it, that thing was cool!!

6 comments:

Erin said...

ohhhhh, I remember that "charmer" necklace!! Melanie and I would lovingly touch and admire all of the charms...the baby bottle was my fav!! Good memories!! Cute pic of you and Dad! I love your "hose and white high heals" You do the "secratary look" well! :)

Happy Birthday, Dad!! Here is to 71 more years!

melanie said...

I love your tributes, Suz! This was just beautiful to read, and I ditto your thoughts exactly. We have one amazing dad!

I am so remembering that charm necklace! I never had as many as you. You had the really cool ones, and I had the grapes. LOL!

Paul and Linda said...

The first thing Dad said when he read this was : "I remember that night !" The 2nd thing he said was : "Look how slim I was !" He remembered the dress which he called "turquoise".

Thank goodness none of you mentioned the "perm for all seasons" which you probably hate me forever for inflicting ! You looked very cute, though.

Who was your MM teacher ? I can't recall.

J'Amy Day said...

What a great picture! My girls have a few of those with Jeff now, too - minus the charm necklace.

Shauna said...

Ahhhh. The charm necklace and the coffee nylons - brings back the good old days.

Beautiful tribute. I made a lame phone call. Which, I think I owe you a call too!

brownbunchmama said...

We appreciate your Dad for the help he's been to us. A great example of Christianity! Happy Birthday ..... late !!