Thursday, January 14, 2010

Choncho, Let Me Borrow Some Sweats

I gotta say that showering and getting dressed before noon makes all the difference. Even though I know I'm not going anywhere today, I still feel better about life now that I'm clean, fresh smelling, and my hair has a style other than greasy ponytail.

Yesterday I didn't take a shower until 8 o'clock...pm. It was an unusually rough day for Parker...I think she missed having her Daddy around. Mark went back to work and she woke up to little 'ole me. There would be no crouching tiger, hidden baby around the house, no kung-fu calisthenics, no flying through the air complete with sound effects, or Daddy giving her a voice for every expression...I think she was a little sad about it.

Anyway, as a result she was fussy...all. day. long. She just couldn't get comfortable and I couldn't get anything done...including that shower.

But who am I kidding?!? It's really not too different from most days. Me not showering, I mean, not Parker being non-stop fussy. Most days I just don't get around to it. I have only a few precious snippets of time when Parker naps that I can get some things done. And unfortunately showering isn't at the top of the priority list.

The other day I read a post by CJane that cracked me up. It is called "Help Meet" and at one point she talks about her shape being lost in a huge navy blue t-shirt covered in her babies snot when she gets a text from her husband saying that he's on his way home. She catches a glimpse of herself in the mirror and texts him back, "Just so you know, I look like Garbage Day!" HA HA HA!! It made me laugh so hard because I can so relate to her!! Most days I feel like I look like garbage day too. I remember over Christmas break, baking cookies with the girls and Mark. It was one of those non-showering days and Mark began taking pictures of the happy goings on. I hissed at him not to take my picture because "I looked like junk". He laughed and has since not let me live down that statement.

CJane actually makes a profound parallel from her situation, realizing that she should take glory in her appearance, whatever it may be...in effect that the grungier she looks, the more her love and service to her family shines. That God created her to be "an help meet" to her husband and Mother (with a capital M) to her children and because of that she is beautiful no matter what. This is illustrated when her husband texts back, "I like garbage day." Cute, huh?

I suppose I should apply those same parallels to my own situation as well, and I do, but ultimately I still want that shower at the end of the day. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's remembering that regardless of the shower or my lack of makeup that I am of worth...that what I am doing right now, today is what God intends for me and that when I am in His service, I shine. So hopefully I (and you) can remember that the sheen on my forehead isn't just greasy skin. Hee hee!!

5 comments:

Shalee said...

love it!

Mark Brown said...

You didn't look like junk that day anyway but if you did, I'd like junk.

Erin said...

Thanks for the perspective. I sometimes have the audacity to walk into a STORE on garbage day. Yikes! I hope those people staring at me know that I didn't choose to look that way on that particular day. ha ha.

Paul and Linda said...

I am loving this new term "garbage day" to describe the not put together look.

Once I saw Joyce Freeman at Purry Drugs looking like garbage. She did not see me, so I kept it that way and hid down the beer aisle so as to not embarrass her, and who came short-cutting through the beer aisle but Madelyn Bodily, wife of the Bp.

Now who's embarrassed ?

melanie said...

I thought of this post on Friday night, when during our dinner at Cafe Rio I spied none other than Nie Nie's children & in-laws. I was too embarrassed to say anything (ask Shauna about my other blog-stalking siting)--

Love the sentiment... I worry more about strangers "stopping by" on garbage day-- but not any more! I'll refer them to cjane!