Yesterday I gave the 4th Sunday lesson in RS. The topic was "Learning and Understanding your Duty". I based the lesson on two talks from May's General Conference. Elder Keith McMullin and Elder Henry B. Eyring. The talks are wonderful. The topic was sobering. In the midst of a chaotic world around us filled with sadness, corruption, and trial we can find solace in doing what the Lord wants us to do. By learning to do our duty, essentially we can improve the ever-decaying world around us. We can make the world a better place by doing our part...our duty.
Thoughts and impressions (and memories) flooded my mind as I prepared this lesson. I can think of no better example than that of my father-in-law when the word "duty" is uttered. And I don't think I am romanticizing things when I say that. Dennis was a man who did his duty...he contributed positively to society, he did his best to make the world a better place, he was constantly in the service of his fellow-man, and ultimately his Savior and Father in Heaven. His hands were the Lord's hands on earth. I don't think I will ever explain it well enough or do the service he performed for us, his family, justice. I will never feel like my words will adequately express my appreciation, my love, and my respect for him. I can only try, struggle/learn, repent, and humbly strive to do/be better.
The following quote from Elder Eyring seemed to jump off the page at me (in talking about an elderly gentleman who had served dutifully in his callings for his entire life): "...His nature had been changed to want what the Savior wanted. He had no fear of death. The desire of his heart was to live to give service to his family and to others of Heavenly Father's children who needed him."
I wish I had expressed this in my lesson yesterday. But I didn't. Not because I didn't WANT to, I felt like I couldn't. I didn't want to go there publicly yet. I knew how it would end, and I didn't want that all over the Relief Society pulpit. But I have been thinking about it ever since. How I needed to get this out. How I needed to express my feelings about Dennis and duty. I would do the whisperings of the Spirit injustice if I neglected to express these impressions and feelings. And so, I write them instead. In the safety of my blog...the only people reading this being my family and friends who know me and knew my father-in-law. You know what I'm talking about. You know who Dennis was, and you understand what I'm talking about when I say he did his duty. You get me, and for that I'm grateful.
I am going to try and have more courage to write out my feelings that are sometimes difficult to express. I feel like I have been holding onto a lot of them for awhile now. After Mark's post, and reading my brother-in-law's and sister-in-law's posts about Dennis, I finally feel like I can have the courage to do the same. We all miss him. The grief has caught us all off guard. None of us could have anticipated the sadness and the loss that we feel. But it's real. Sometimes it's okay...we are happy and remember the good things. Other times it feels like relief can't come soon enough or in the right ways. Like we are forever broken as a result of what we've seen and had to do. Helplessness, guilt, sorrow...these emotions that can grab hold and take your breath away.
But at the same time, understanding and perspective are all around us. We are learning to accept God's will and His plan. That is the one area where I feel comfort and peace. I know that everything happens for a reason, according to God's plan. And I trust Him. I know that He loves me...all of us. I know that He will never give us more than we can handle. If He thinks I can handle this, then I can...I will. I will do MY duty.
9 comments:
((HUGS)) Thank you for this. Love you.
Good to see your post. We love you guys-Dave
The blog has been very helpful for me to post-pretty theraputic for me actually. Anyway, great to hear your thoughts and kind words as well on my blog, I know you guys are having a rough time too and you are in our prayers as well. Great perspective on duty, I like that. Dave
I think that it is so great that you have shared these feelings with us. We all loved Dennis, and can appreciate your expressions concerning the kind of man he was.
When I first read Mark's obituary, I stopped at the part where he said that, when marrying Laurie, Dennis felt he had "married up". Interestingly, so did Laurie !
One of the things I appreciated most about him was his concern for others which he demonstrated in so many ways, but the most important was his constant gift of Time. Dennis always had enough of it to give it whoever needed it.
When one uses the term "duty-bound" it is often thought of as an almost negative expression, but when one understands it as Dennis, and others I know, understand it, you can see that it is really a Christ-like quality.
We love you.
((hugs)) and love to you & Mark. We're always here for you, and write away--we do know you, knew him, and can understand your feelings in ways that can support and carry you during this difficult time.
Love you, sister.
I'm here for you, Suzy....so write away. It helps me to read it and know a little bit of what you're going through and feeling. Love ya, sister! Thinking of you often.
Suzy, so sorry to hear of your family's loss. I don't know the whole story, but it sounds as though it was unexpected, which makes it even more difficult. I appreciated your thoughts here. I was asked to give a talk on the resurrection this Sunday...I've been thinking about how our knowledge of the resurrection helps us on a daily basis. This is an example of why. May your family find peace in this difficult time. Lots of love!
If anyone can handle it, it's you & Mark. We love you both and are here for you, as well. Keep writing...we're reading & listening.
Post a Comment