Friday, December 12, 2014

Grad Dad

At the beginning of December, we were able to attend the graduation ceremonies for Mark's PhD at Wayne State University.  It was a great day, and a wonderful memory for all of us.  I couldn't help getting choked up several times during the event.  It was weird, I didn't expect that kind of reaction.  The first time I got choked up was when the candidates marched into the auditorium, the PhD's were at the head of the pack, which was kind of cool.  There was our Daddy right behind the guy holding the flags (because his last name is at the beginning of the alphabet), and it was so dang cool to see him front and center like that!  Afterwards, when they started the speeches and what not, it was just such a celebration.  Everyone was so excited and it felt like there was this extra energy in the room.  Not to mention the fact that this IS Detroit after all, and I was so happy to be in such a diverse group of personalities and cultures.  I love how different people celebrate, and it was so neat to be involved in that.  During the speeches, several times I got choked up because I could tell that everyone there had worked so hard and sacrificed to get where they were today.  There was such a sense of accomplishment, but also of RELIEF that it was finally over!  Haha!

I'm just so proud of Mark...it was just so stinking hard and frustrating at times.  I am amazed he perservered when other men would have given up.  It really does speak volumes to his character and determination.  I'm also just so grateful that it's over.  I have felt (and I know Mark has too) such a sense of relief and completion.  Over Christmas break this year, I would often think to myself, "at this time last year (and the past 8 years), Mark would be waking up early, trekking down to a cold, dark basement with his flannel bathrobe, space heater, and laptop to work for several hours while the rest of us would sleep in during our Christmas break."  He DID that!  Wow!  What a sacrifice of his time and his energy and his sanity!  If anyone deserves this graduation ceremony, it's him.  He has earned the "pomp and circumstance!!"  Now onto the next chapter of our lives!









1 comment:

melanie said...

Man, I love this. Congrats just isn't even enough of a word for the sacrifice & dedication this accomplishment required from both of you. <3 <3