Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Blast From the Past

In case anyone is wondering what I'd like for Christmas this year...click here.



I remember laying on my bedroom floor and listening to this soundtrack on my Fisher-Price record player. I loved every song and still remember the lyrics to many of them even after all these years. My German companion on my mission taught me the lyrics to "My Turn on Earth" in German, and we'd practice it while we were tracting. "Es ist mein wig, ist mein wig, ist mein wig das Welt..."
And did you know they made a sequel for this?


This little gem definitely ties for first place in my list of favorite Mormon musicals. I absolutely love this soundtrack and remember watching the VHS on Sunday afternoons with Melanie and Erin. I hope "White Star" comes out on DVD soon.

So am I the only nerd who loves this stuff? I know that at least Erin's still with me on the Saturday's Warrior thing. What else do you remember about growing up Mormon in the Eighties???

You know you were a Mormon in the Eighties if you remember:
  • Stage productions of Ricks Colleges' "Showtime"
  • Living Scriptures
  • Shaklee Vitamins
  • Missionary Farewells
  • Called to Serve and Labor of Love on VHS



  • Ward Dinners on Friday nights (Pot-Luck, oh yeah!)
  • Primary on Wednesday afternoons
  • Borrowing tables and chairs from the Ward building for parties at home
  • Having bridal and baby showers at the Ward building
  • Overnight Temple Trips
  • Going hog wild at the Distribution Center on trips to the Temple or SLC
  • Mr. Krueger's Christmas and The Last Leaf
  • Our Heavenly Father's Plan on Cassette tape
  • Missionary Flip Charts
  • The Mormon Rap
  • I"ll Build You a Rainbow (short film and song)
  • Ward Building Custodians
  • Saving Church Magazines and Newspapers indefinitely
  • Road Shows (and Livonia Ward winning 4 years in a row!)
  • Ward Campouts using the Stake owned tents and sometimes (eww!) sleeping bags
  • Treats in Primary

5 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

We actually saw "Saturday's Warrior" on stage put on by the huge Detroit Stake cast... starring Natalie Headlee and ??? Pratt from our very own Parkview Ward.

And "The Mormon Rap" lip sync starring Melanie and Erin in the Livonia Ward Talent show ... they were the hit of the night !

Dad still saves all magazines and Church News'. Just in case, I guess.

Great idea, Sooz !

Shalee said...

I was a primary kid in the 80's, but most of that stuff I could relate to. I could probably sing 'Saturday's Warrior' and 'My Turn on Earth' in their entirety....I think I might just be a nerd.

Jennifer said...

Holy Smokes!! Saturday's Warrior sequel...that's too good to be true. "He's just a friend like those I count in dozens..." What about "The Mailbox" and "Cypher in the Snow?"

Erin said...

GOOD MEMORIES!! I will never forget driving to the roadshow that Mom wrote (Alma and the sons of Mosiah) and Dad was in his full "streetperson" costume complete with hair turbon...driving the car!! Needless to say we had many strange looks! :)

I love Saturday's warrior and it is still my favorite church flick of all time! When Ben and I got married he told me he had never seen it, and I proceeded to dance around our living room like they dic in the "pre-mortal" scene at the beginning! If only I had had a leotard and flowy skirt in bright teal....

Suzy said...

UPDATE: I got both MY Turn on Earth on DVD, and White Star on CD while I was visiting family in Idaho, so scratch them off of your Christmas lists for me. You're like all keeping a list for me, right?