Saturday morning rolled around and it was the first thing she asked me about. We went downstairs and I started pulling out boxes in order to get to the sewing stuff. I finally got to the big box of fabric, and behind it was my 1960's era sewing machine. I pulled it all out and figured I'd find a scrap or two of fabric she could sew with a big needle and thread. That was the last thing I remember before Mark came downstairs around 11:30 wondering what we were up to. By that time, I was putting the finishing touches on a travel pillow case, and starting on a purse for Maryn. That's kinda how I craft. I get started on a project and get so totally immersed in it, I can barely come up for air. I lose all track of time and reason and just focus entirely on completing the project. And so it was with our little morning of sewing on Saturday.
What's funny is that at some point, Avery lost interest and went back upstairs to play and watch cartoons. Maryn came down and stayed with me the whole time. She loved picking out different fabrics to put together in different patterns. She was the one who came up with the purse idea. She was cute and very involved and helpful. We had a good time, I think. And it was nice coming away with something tangible to remember the occassion. Avery got a pillow case too, but didn't end up actually sewing anything herself. I asked her later if she wanted to, and she said no, the pillow case was enough. I don't know if she really meant it, or if she's just a little wary of the crafting side of her Mom now. She's learned better than to ask her Mom to sew something for her again I think.

These are the travel pillowcases. The girls will take them to "school" (summer daycare) for quiet time after lunch.

Here's my little Sears Roebuck model showing off her new purse. She loaded it up with all her 7 year old necessities for our trip to the grocery store on Saturday. A Hannah Montana book, 3 different kinds of lip gloss, a plastic cell phone, and a couple of My Littlest Pet Shop creatures. She knows what she can't leave home without. She also used it for her Church bag on Sunday. At least it's already getting some good use.
5 comments:
So cute! I think the model especially loves them!
I am the same way when I start a project, head down and plow through til the end!!
super.stinkin.CUTE!!
Way to go Suzy! I think it's really great that you took the time to sew with the girls. What fun memories (and cute treasures!) came from it. And even on a Saturday! You rock.
So cute! Love Maryn's modeling!
Very fun way to spend a morning! I've got a few fond memories of the girls and I sewing together...note the word "few". I have the same problem as you, once all the stuff is out there is no turning back! But they really love it when we do.
Post a Comment