Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Can you believe this?

I was getting ready after working out today, and this woman (who shall remain nameless, and I really don’t even know her that well anyway) was like, “Did you get your hair darkened?” I said “yes”, and she was like “why?!?” with this look on her face like something really stank in the room. And I was like, “oh you know, to change things up a little bit…wanted something different”, and she was like, “Man, you’re like the second person I’ve seen go dark. Why’s everyone going dark?!? And why are you doing it in the middle of the summer? It’s not going to last very long, and before you know it, it’ll go light again. And it’s better to go light in the summer and dark in the Fall. I would’ve waited until October. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.” Seriously! She was all over me! Like she was all irritated that I went dark without her permission. Like I didn’t have an ounce of practicality in my soul. Like there was a sign on my forehead that said, “Please, verbally berate me about my recent hair color choice.”

What the heck!?!

She then went on to ask me if I went to a salon to get my color done. I said "yes", and THEN she was all, “oh, I only use boxed color now cause it's sooooo much cheaper, and I can do as good a job if not BETTER than the salon. Salon colors fade sooooo quickly, and what’s the point of paying ALL that money!?!” Oh yeah, she was all accusatory with that too. All I could say was, “Well, I had a coupon. I got 15% off because I’ve been referring a lot of people to my salon, so that helped a little.” And then she was all looking at me with the stinky face again.

Needless to say, I finished up getting myself ready and got the heck out of there after that.

I repeat, what. the. heck!?!

So now, even though I know this woman is completely insane, I’m all skittish about my hair color choice. Are there rules about going light in the summer and dark in the fall/winter? Really? And even if there were, would you go and verbally assault somebody you barely even know about that choice?

Oh, the humanity!

(Oh, and if you're curious and need something to reference, see the evidence of my seasonal hair color mishap in the previous blog post. I'm not fishing for compliments here, but I am wondering if maybe I missed the "Hair Coloring 101" class they offered in Heaven. Oooh, that reminds me of "My Turn on Earth". Update: Laurie got me the newly-released DVD when I was in Idaho, and it "was good, it was good, it was very, very good". HA!)

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your hair looks cute. Tell her to shut up.

Anna said...

It does look really cute...what salon do you go to?

Anna said...

P.S. I'm thinking about getting highlights...gasp...in the fall!

brownbunchmama said...

It does not matter one bit what "she" thinks ! You look great. Choose to ignore her.

Suzy said...

I didn't tell her to shut up then and there, but I really wanted to. Since then, I've been keeping my distance from her. She's pretty well known for being a big-mouth around these parts, so I'm trying not to be too offended. Consider the source, right?

Anna, I go to the Gerald's Salon on 5 mile and Haggerty. They're technically in Northville, but really close to Livonia and Plymouth too. I have a coupon you could use if you ask for a girl (colorist) named Jamie. Also, if you tell them I sent you I get another coupon. So the cycle of love continues. Highlights would be cute! No matter what season!!

di said...

okay--i think that that is hilarious because when i read your blog yesterday i was noticing how amazing you look! i particularly loved your hair! just smile and nod to the gal! you look great!

Paul and Linda said...

I always wonder where people like this get their hutzpah when they make comments like this that are absolutely none of their business.

It is the perfect place for one of two things :
1). The straight out rebuttal : "Why is my hair color a concern of yours ?"
or
2). The little white lie : " Well, this disease of the scalp that I have is showing through if I use highlights only. Let me show you ... "
or
You can take the high road as you did, and say nothing to her ... ever again !

With love from your Mother who always thinks you are beautiful, and you know better than to disagree with her !

melanie said...

rofl mom! I love the #2 disease of the scalp response!!! :)

I LOVE your hair. It's beautiful!
I'm always amazed when people think their opinion matters that much.

Grrr!

Mark Brown said...

I like Jennifer's suggestion. There's something deeply satisfying about the occasional, well-placed "Shut up."

Rude but satisfying.

Stacie said...

I can't believe you were kind enough to say nothing. I wondered how she would have responded if you just started crying? That's probably what I would have done. That, or reamed her out.

Erin said...

the question is what did her hair look like?!