Friday, January 29, 2010

My Own Version of Hoarding

Our van has been on the fritz for a couple weeks and we finally got it back on Wednesday. I had been cooped up in the house during the day for those 2 weeks with Parker because the other option was to get up and take Mark to work at 8 am, no thanks!!

I decided to treat myself to a little retail therapy last night at Tar-jay. I had a few things I needed to pick up...some baby spoons and rice cereal for our little monkey who is READY TO EAT some solids...she's about to burn a hole through our faces as she stares at us eating our food nowadays. So cute. Anyway, I also needed batteries, body wash, and a diet coke from the Tar-jay Cafe (can I get an amen?!?)

But I also just wanted to stroll the aisles, see what's new, look at shiny things, and get lost in visual stimulation. Is that so wrong? No! The wrong comes in when you do this with no timeline, budget constraints (oh I have them, I just choose to ignore them from time to time), or kids in tow. That is when you are left with only the little voice in your head to tell you that it's been long enough, that you've put enough things in the cart now, you have no idea how much all of this stuff is going to cost (or care for that matter), and that it's time to go now...put the dollar item down Suzy, it's time to go!!

Have you watched "Hoarders" on A&E yet? It's quite disturbing. These people have a genuine mental illness. They are INCAPABLE (without serious therapy) of throwing things away, not being able to say no to new acquisitions, and they place more value on material possessions than on the long term consequences that acquiring those things yields. It's sad really. I know I'm not as bad as the hoarders on that show. My house isn't piled from floor to ceiling in junk, I'm not incapable of throwing away my trash (far from it actually, but that's a post for another day). My problem is in saying no to a good deal. Specifically walking away from things that are on CLEARANCE!! Especially at Target. When I see that tempting little red sticker affixed to an item, I feel a magnetic pull. I must see what the price is. I learned awhile back that the percentage off is located in the upper right corner of the tag. The original price on the left, the NEW price on the right. I get sucked in every time. I figure when it's on sale, it's fair game.

And that's exactly what happened last night. I decided to take a gander at the clearance racks in the shoe department...it's been so long since I got myself new shoes. Ooooh, those are on clearance...oooh, only $6.24!! And the cycle continues...onto the baby section...winter coat for Parker for next year...oh, and look at this cute hat and mittens that match it...now onto the girls section...tights for Maryn, jeans for Avery, the sales were astounding!! Everything was like 75% off! Plus I had my Target rewards coupon for an additional 10% off of that!! I kept going!!

The only point where I began to really question my motives was in the linens dept. They had sheets for 75% off. When I re-did the girls room I didn't get new sheets. So I got 2 sets of twin sheets for each of them...but is that enough? No!! I picked up 2 more!! For when the other set is in the wash right? Except that they don't really need new sheets in the first place. The sheets they have are fine. They're a few years old, but fine for the most part. They just don't match the new bedding is all...and you know how I am about the matchy-matchy!! So that's where I started getting a little compulsive...do I get the 2 sets or just the 1? All of them are like $2-4 a set!! I can't put them back...they're so cheap!!!!!! I ended up buying them, but you know what happens next, right? You have the option of returning them, but are still unable to do so because you (okay, me, I) continue to obsess about it!!

I ask Mark for his opinion. He is the only voice of reason at this point. He says to take the extra sets back. We really don't need them. But they're only $2.50 I point out for the millionth time!! So what?!? he says, if we don't need them, we don't need them.

And that's when it hit me. If I let my "good deals" mania get too out of line, I will end up like the Hoarders on A&E...with nothing but unopened packages of sheets sets to keep me warm at night...oh the horror!! (Stop laughing!!)

So I decided today that I am going to start imposing regulations on my clearance spending...a Quick Reference for myself when I am standing in the aisle at Target...clearance item in hand...trying to decide whether or not to chuck it in the cart or back on the shelf.

Here goes, bear with me:
1. Am I going to use this item up? Is it completely consumable? Food, toiletry, paper good, general merchandise that can be used up? If yes, then proceed to question 2.

2. Is it at least 3o% off? If so, then you're getting warmer. 50% is better, but 75% is a pretty safe bet that I am getting an awesome deal, and that it is safe to purchase.

3. Am I going to use this item RIGHT NOW? Or is it something that will just sit and acquire dust for when I think I might want or need to use it? If so, then the answer is NO. If it is something that can go into food storage then proceed to question 2 again.

4. What is the quality of this item? Am I settling for second best simply because of the sales price? Is there a reason that there are so many leftover items that nobody else wanted? If it is cheap and crappy anyway (despite the sales price), just walk away!!

5. Will this item fulfill a specific purpose? Or do I just think it's cute? Will the use I get out of this item justify the cost? Mostly I use these questions for home decor...things that just sit and grace a shelf or wall. Do I know where this picture or frame will go right off the bat? If not, then NO!!

6. (And in terms of clothing) Is this an item that will get worn regularly? Not a one time deal kind of thing like a fancy dress or pair of shoes...will I wear this on a daily, weekly basis? If not, will I wear this item to a specific event that is coming up? If the answer is no to any of these, the answer is NO!!

Hopefully these criteria will help me to weed out the superfluous items that I just don't need. The money is better in my pocket than it is in an item that will sit on a shelf, ya know what I mean? I am learning. I am trying. I want to do the right thing. I want to be a frugal, thrifty shopper, but at the same time I don't want to constantly feel like I "live in dog patch". There is money for things that are needful and purposeful...we have to eat, we have to clean ourselves and our things, we have to dress ourselves, and have bedding, furniture, etc. Just remember that we don't have to have it ALL! And that some things are just fluff. And ultimately vanity. And that is most definitely not the intention.

So wish me luck fam and friends and maybe you too can get a little use out of my Quick Reference...think of it the next time you find yourself trolling the clearance racks at your favorite store...and above all, JUST SAY NO!! for heaven's sake!!

P.S. If there is a criteria you would like to add to the Quick Reference, please by all means, leave it in the comments!! I'm all ears!!

7 comments:

Mark Brown said...

Don't be surprised if a laminated copy of "The Quick Reference" shows up in your purse taped to your wallet.

Paul and Linda said...

Your "quick reference" sounds very Suzie Forman-ish !

(Did you know she was gay ? She and Cat Cora both. Next thing I will hear is that Clay Aiken is, too ! :o) )

J'Amy Day said...

You're definitely on the road to recovery, Suz! What will Tar-jey do now???

Shalee said...

I love this post, I think we are soul sisters :) Perhaps this means we should never go to Target together...

Erin said...

Target runs in our blood. When I walk in I am instantly relaxed and happy thus leading me to excess spending as well (and not always on clearance items). Can I get a quick reference laminated version as well?! ;)

Shalee said...

I went to Target today and thought of you :) I actually used some of the Quick Reference tips and talked myself out of a new unneeded items. Consider this your first testimonial :D

KC said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw this post. I just shopped last Friday and bought literally a cart full of clearance items, and I LOVE each and every one of the items. I don't budge at the 30-50% off though. I Unless it's 75% and still high quality, I don't mess with it. Ahhh, I'm pretty much happy just thinking of Target clearance ...
BTW - I bought the sheets too!