Friday, February 11, 2011

Home & Garden Television

I knew when I finally got DISH that HGTV was going to be my downfall. I love me some interior design, and HGTV delivers. Recently I have become best friends with the show, "Designed to Sell". I luv it!! For $2000, you have a team of good-looking, friendly, enthusiastic, talented contractors and decorators at your beckoned call. They swoosh in with magnificent plans, tons of smiles, and get to work!! And within a matter of days, your home is transformed!! It's quite amazing. The only downside is, after they swoosh in, you have to swoosh out. The catch is that they help you to SELL your house. They fix all the problems you had to live with, but you never get to enjoy the upgrades and improvements. (Thumbs down!) I would love it if they revised the show to include people like me who just need a little help on a tight budget. Just nudge me in the right direction and I'd be happy. Or maybe I could scam the show...pretend like I'm moving and then hide the "For Sale" sign after the HGTV trucks rolled out of town. Shhhh...don't tell, it might just work!!

My favorite designer is definitely Monica Pederson. Besides the fact that she lives in the Chicago area, the girls think she looks like Aunt Melanie...the one whose baby is Maia. :-) Her style is still funky and eclectic. She still values the whimsy in design and uses color to make a statement. Her rooms look bright and friendly, but still well proportioned and functional. I like that.

My least favorite designer is John Gidding (aka Curb Appeal). Who does this guy think he is? His design may be economical, but it just isn't what normal people (with families) are looking for. His rooms don't flow, the colors aren't neutral enough, and I've seen him literally ruin a home's best features...removing unique architecture and character. In a recent episode, he painted a living room gold, a dining room purple, with pinky salmon drapes. Yuck.

My second favorite designer is Lisa LaPorta, and my second least favorite is Taniya Nayak. If it weren't for John being such a joke, Taniya's palette of brown, tan, and beige would bore me into a designing coma.

Do you watch the show? Who is your favorite designer and why?

3 comments:

Erin said...

ohhhh, I miss HGTV! Those shows are the best!! They are running a show here right now called "9 by design"(is that running in the states right now??) that I love. A Mom and Dad (who are the designers) and their 7 kids!! It shows them designing different properties and then also follows their family life at home. The perfect combo of reality goodness! ;)

Paul and Linda said...

I l.o.v.e. Lisa LaPortly ! She is so real. And I like her "team" including Clive ! Monica would be my 2nd fav.and could be the 1st if she wasn't so-o-o tall and so-o-o pretty and Shane gives me the hives !

melanie said...

I love Lisa LaPorta too, because it makes me giggle when she has to stand on a chair to reach the child locks. I'm going to hang on to the girls' compliment too-- thanks! (though you're sure Maryn was wearing her glasses when she said that?) :)

My fav HGTV show though is Design Star. I'm a reality show addict.