Sunday, December 8, 2013

December Doings--Part 1

Forgive the picture quality, my cell phone just doesn't take very good shots. Ah well, it's better than nothing, I guess.

We got the Christmas tree up, and as many decorations as I'm willing to unpack.  Haha.  It's sparse, but it's still festive.  Take a look at these sweet ornaments from back in the day of my little Santa babies.  These were made by the Nursery in our Ward in Twin Falls.  It really takes me back.  Sometimes trimming the tree can be a little heartbreaking...sigh.




I signed Parker up for a dance class a few weeks ago. She really enjoys it so far. Of course, there's the problem of her wanting to teach the class herself...or hijack the lesson to act like a butterfly...but that's pretty much just life with Parker nowadays. She has a kind teacher who is working with her and us to make it a positive experience. Tender mercy indeed.  Something for her to be excited about, and something for us to do to get out of the house during the week. Win-win.



Avery has been playing 6th grade girls 5 on 5 basketball.  This is what the community does before the girls start playing middle school sports.  She loves it, and really lucked out with a great team this season.  They have won every game but two, and she is getting more confident and learning every game.  It's fun to watch the games.  Who would've known that Mark and I would be the parents yelling from the stands?!?  Not me!  Haha!




Look at that scoreboard!  That was the last game they won...43 to 15.  By the end, I really did feel bad for the other team.  NOT!!  Haha!

Midland has so many fun things to offer for Christmas, and this one I was actually able to be a part of.  The two Midland wards host a Nativity Exhibit for the community.  It runs over the first weekend in December.  It's kicked off by a wonderful concert Friday night, and culminates with the Christmas Devotional on Sunday night.  As you can imagine, they need all hands on deck, so Mark and I have volunteered to help set things up this past week, and it's started off our holiday in the right spirit.  Helping and serving is the best thing to do when you are remembering the Savior and His birth. 

The other reason I have loved being involved with the Nativity exhibit is that it brings back warm and happy memories of the Livonia Ward.  I have great memories of helping to set things up, being a hostess for the actual event, and of course, my infamous take down/clean up story from when I was 17.  My experiences definitely helped me build my testimony, and remind me of real Christlike sacrifice and love.

These were a couple of my favorites...and now I want to figure out how to make versions for myself!


White stencils on a simple black block.  This would look incredible in my living room. Sigh.


Scrabble tiles read "Joy to the World, the Lord has come"!  Love it!

Of course, the month isn't even half over, and we have other fun stuff planned.  I'm trying to journal more of our doings because I have all but given up on scrapbooking, and have decided that my blog has to become a journal for our family.  So here is my renewed effort to chronicle the story of our lives.  Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Can I be in your journal then … huh ? huh ? Can I ?

I love the Santa babies, too ! I love the Santa Big Girls also. And the dear little budding dancer needs to have one to match, I think.

I appreciate your thoughts about the nativity exhibits both past and present. Did you enter your Welsh candle snuffer set ? I'll never forget Leslie's loving sacrifice that year.

Erin said...

good idea for the kids in my nursery class! I have wonderful memories of the creche exhibit, too. Glad you got to be a part of that!

melanie said...

I remember those babies! I love the homemade ornaments too. I still hang one on our tree I made with Sister Headlee out of a canning jar lid & glitter!

Love the nativity exhibit.. some of my favorite memories. I mean seriously, loved it so much I fashioned a creche out of hangers as a child?!?! Who does that???

melanie said...

Oh, and had to say, Parker in a dance uniform?? I die. She can teach me her dance class any time. Cutie patootie.

Shauna said...

Thanks for taking the time to post. I love being able to catch up on your family. Your goal has inspired me to do better with my blog, aka, the dead fish.