Monday, November 24, 2014

Something to be grateful for...

This!!

I thought this was hilarious!  Anyone who knows me, knows I love the "Keep Calm" paraphernalia out there, so this was perfect.
Mark and I were able to take a trip downtown to the campus of Wayne State University, and there in the Maccabees building on Woodward Avenue years of work culminated with a few hours worth of presentation, discussion, and celebration.  It was surreal.

He totally rocked his dissertation defense!  He didn't even know he was supposed to have a presentation until the grad director told him the agenda when we arrived.  He just pulled about a 30 minute presentation out of nowhere, and blew everybody away!!  I was seriously impressed.  He did great, and he even put on his missionary hat in the process.  I can guarantee that the professors and directors and colleagues in attendance came away knowing more about Mormons than they would have any other way at any other time in their lives.  It was awesome.

The guy in the fleece jacket is the infamous Dr. Steven Shaviro (his committee chair), that was seriously a blessing sent from heaven.  I honestly mean that.  Without him, this would have never happened.  If it weren't for him helping Mark to pick up the pieces of his shattered prospectus, and organize a new, BETTER committee with decent human beings this day would have never arrived.  As Mark gave his presentation, I would look over at Dr. Shaviro and see him nodding, smiling, agreeing to the references Mark would make, not because he had to, but because he wanted to!  He genuinely looked impressed and interested.  That did my heart good.  To see that not only did I think Mark was doing great, but this guy (who is a lot more qualified than me) did too!!



 After Mark was done with his presentation, and answered all the questions from the committee they asked us to leave the room for a few minutes while they deliberated.  When they called us back in, Dr. Shaviro congratulated Mark on being the newest PhD in Film Studies.  This picture is of them signing the paperwork to make it all official.  I wanted to take a proper picture of them all standing together smiling, but it just didn't seem appropriate.  Oh well, at least I have something to document it actually happened!!  Whoo-hoo!  So happy, so proud, so grateful.  

Now he gets to wear this on December 6 when he walks in the graduation ceremonies.  Can't wait!!


3 comments:

melanie said...

Such an exciting moment of SO MUCH HARD WORK!!! Congrats a million times over for not only reaching the finish line, but soaring over it with awesome supporters and colleagues.

Congrats Doc Brown!!!

Paul and Linda said...

Doctor Brown, I presume ...

So impressive to have one in the family !

Shalee said...

WOOHOOO! A well deserved congratulations! That is awesome!