Thursday, January 17, 2008

Happy Birthday Mark!




(I guess this one could use a little 'splainin...he was laying down in the back of the faux-ambulance at the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum while Maryn drove and Avery raced back and forth helping her "victim". It was pretty hilarious.)




So today is the big "3-4" for Mark. On this day in 1974, Mark Sheffield Brown was born to Dennis and Laurie Brown in Pocatello, Idaho. (I'm not an expert on the story, but I'll give it a shot.) They were living in Burley at the time, but Laurie's doctor was in Pocatello (about 45 miles away), luckily she went into labor at his office. Mark was born sometime that evening. His parents nicknamed him "Piglet" as a baby because of the loud sucking and smacking sounds he would make while he was eating. Mark is #2 in their family...younger brother to Jason and older brother to Dave and Dan. There is about a 4 year gap between Mark and Dave, and only a 2 year gap between he and Jason so growing up Mark and Jason were really close. Whenever they get together, they're always asking each other if they remember doing such and such in Blackfoot, or the friends they'd had in Rexburg or American Falls. Their stories are pretty funny to listen to, and always complete with lots of sound effects and shocking details. Some of my favorite "Mark kid stories" include hearing about how he and Jason wallpapered the house in their Mom's "feminine hygeine products" just because they didn't know what they were, and throwing up at practically every school assembly he participated in. Mark was a pretty peaceful kid who really liked staying in bed as late as possible in the mornings. I guess he'd wrap himself in his blankets and sit over the heating vents in the kitchen waiting for breakfast. As a teenager his Dad had to install an intercom system to make sure he'd get up for school. He loved art and still has many of the paintings he did as a teen. He also made great comics, and wrote stories and poems that he won many awards for. He was a loyal Boy Scout, got his Eagle Sount award at 12, and still has scars to prove it. He was a Theater guy too. He was in most of his school plays, but not too many musicals (right?). He continued acting at Ricks too. I remember seeing him in the Twelfth Night while I was there. He held odd jobs during his teen years. He was king of the Brown family Sno-Shack. His Dad bought it and planted it by the Rexburg Swimming Pool and Mark spent his summers selling sno-cones to pretty girls and obnoxious kids. He also worked at both of the two Rexburg restaurants either hosting or doing dishes. Because his Mom worked there, Mark got to go to Ricks for free and he lived at home. I met him during our second year at Ricks in a poetry class. We were "just friends" for awhile, although I still maintain that our first date occurred during that time. He thought we were just getting fries and studying. Whatever. After Ricks, he served his mission in Jackson, Mississippi and did really well. He was Assistant for awhile, and loved the area and the people. (We even got to go back in 2002 for a visit while his Uncle was serving as the mission president.) After his mission, he returned to Ricks and that's when we "bumped" into each other again. It wasn't until a year or so later that we started dating...driving back and forth between Logan (me at USU) and Pocatello (him at ISU) until we got married in December of 1998. Mark has always loved all things literary, theater, art, and music. He also loves creating things, especially book arts and now wants to start a press! He is a great student and has consistently had a 4.0 average in grad school and now his PhD as well. He is a survivor...many of you remember this one. Mark has been cancer free for almost 9 years. He is an incredible father. He not only helps the girls with the mundane tasks like brushing teeth and cleaning up, he's also always playing, talking, and laughing with them too. Just recently he's been reading them a 600-page comic book called "Bone" and they are completely enraptured with it and can't wait for bedtime to snuggle up with him for some Daddy-time. Just last night I had to put the brakes on the "Bone" reading because it was 8:30 and they needed to go to sleep! He's also a good friend and husband to me. We haven't had it easy all the time, but I know he is devoted to our family and wants the best for me and the girls. He makes me laugh and feel supported and valued. He is a blessing to have in our lives. Happy Birthday Mark!!

7 comments:

Erin said...

how cool to read the "beginning" of what is Mark Brown! Loved it! :) Happy, Happy Birthday, Mark! You are a great Uncle, Brother in Law and friend! Hope your day is fantastic! :)

Paul and Linda said...

I posted on the Norse Penny blog ... click there !

J'Amy Day said...

Happy Birthday, Mark! I loved the synopsis of your life...I'm trying to picture you laying on the heating vent waiting for your breakfast! That's funny...maybe next time we all get together you could whip out some sno-cones for us :)!

Amy

Mark Brown said...

I'm touched by your post, Suze. I'm also surprised at some of the details you remember. Piglet?

A few things to set straight:

I got my Eagle at 14, not 12. (I don't think you're even eligible for the Eagle award until 14).

Bone is closer to 1,200 pages.

AND

I puked at one school assembly. One. Not EVERY one. Just one.

careyttops or katelyn's kid kitchen said...

LOL...happy bday Mark and i've learned more about you than EVER! :) and i am laughing so hard at your correction- 1200 pages not 600! :) that's def. worth getting straight, eh!?

oh...and i can't believe you all played hooky...all for nothing. well, not for nothing, but i truly admire such spontaneous living! way to go!

Shauna said...

I have been without internet for two days!
You won't read this until Monday, but great post! Fun to read all the stuff about Mark.

Happy belated birthday Mark!

Stacie said...

Thanks for sharing. It was fun to learn so much about Mark. Happy Birthday Mark!