Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rock On!

When I saw Melanie’s post about NKOTB making a come-back, I couldn’t help but take a stroll down memory lane…

Concerts I’ve Been To:

Tears 4 Fears—when I was 15, with Erin Stuart and her older sister. It was their “Sowing the Seeds of Love” tour. Blondie opened for them and I’ll never forget seeing her perform, “Call Me!!” Awesome!


Milli Vanilli—when I was 16, also with Erin Stuart and I think my brother Ryan and his friends. I still think they should have given refunds after the show. What.a.joke. Should I be a little embarrassed?


New Kids on the Block—when I was 16, my Dad paid for my ticket so HE wouldn’t have to take my sister Erin and her friends. I remember shouting, “Donny, you suck!” Not sure why. I got a kick out of watching Erin and her multi-cultural friends rocking their little 11 yr. old hearts out.


U2—when I was 17. I went with a group of friends and I drove our Aerostar all the way to the Palace. I think I got in a fender bender, but never told anyone. {Surprise!} This was a once in a lifetime concert event. I swear U2 will still be cranking out songs in 2020!


They Might Be Giants—when I was 18. I went with a group of friends from high school after graduation. This was my favorite concert of all time. It was so fun--2 men on stage with a drum and an accordion at a small theater in downtown Ann Arbor.


Harry Connick Jr.—when I was 19 or 20 I went with a group of “young single adult” friends that I think may have included Thom Beauchamp. It was an outdoor venue (Meadowbrook) in the summer and we sat on the lawn and listened to old Harry do his magic.


Sting—when I was 20ish. I went with Chris Matteson and maybe some other people (Casey, Becky??). This was also an outdoor summer concert and at some point Sting took his shirt off and I fell in love.


Indigo Girls—when I was 27. Mark surprised me with tickets and we left our girls with his Mom to drive down and back to SLC from Twin Falls. This was so fun and proves that you can still rock out after you have kids.


So this post isn’t announcing I have just scored tickets to Hannah Montana or any other concert for that matter. I haven’t been to another concert since the Indigo Girls in 2003. I really don’t get out much. I guess it’s just interesting to look back on how my taste in music is so completely haphazard. I pretty much like it all. I guess if I wanted my concert going experience to be more well-rounded, I’d do country next. If Carrie Underwood came this way, I’d totally go or even Rascal Flatts or Dixie Chicks. I’m not too sure I’d be going to see the Killers though, even though I really like some of their songs.

So, this is somewhat of a TAG for you…what concerts have you been to in your lifetime and which ones were your favorites and why?

8 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Wellllll, let me see ... the last concert I went to of major size was the Tabernacle Choir at Pine Knob. If that isn't too pathetic, then the last one before that was Erin's SHS Choir concert starring the Comeback Kid ... Lowell Everson ! Top that !!!

Suzy said...

So you're not mad about the fender bender I forgot to mention after the U2 concert?

melanie said...

Awesome!

I remember you getting me hooked on TMBG-- and I just downloaded Birdhouse in my soul for my kids to rock out in the mini-van to!

I'd love to join you for a country concert next-- that would be f.u.n!

Jennifer said...

I love They Might Be Giants! They are so great. Saw U2 at the Palace a few years ago. It was AWESOME! Saw Sarah McLachlan at the MSU Auditorium in 1997 also very cool. Saw Depeche Mode at Pine Knob in 1995. My favorite concert of all time was Paul McCartney in 2002 at the Palace. It was the closest I'll ever get to a Beatles concert and I loved every minute of it. I really wish I could go back in time and see Def Leppard circa 1987. That would have been very, very cool.

Andrea said...

My music taste is all over the board! And I've been to some concerts that i am ashamed to admit I've been, too...Richard Marx, George Michael and Enrique Iglesias. My last concert was Morissey this past summer and I may be going to the Cure in May--whaaatt? Am I too old for that now? Favorite concerts--Depeche Mode, No Doubt, Live,...

J'Amy Day said...

I've only been to 4...the B-52's was my first concert at 19 (can you believe it took me that long to get to one?). Jeff and I went together. After that, we went to Earth, Wind & Fire when I was pregnant with Alec. I was 29 and I was so afraid that the noise would hurt the baby's ears - we were in the 7th row! That was a great concert. Next was Shania Twain at 32. Jeff and I went with Kellie and Mike Davies. She was great in concert. But I'd have to say that the best would have to be last year when the girls and I went to the High School Musical concert! We knew all the songs. It was so much fun to see how excited they were and the thousands of tweens screaming all around me is something I'll never forget!

Erin said...

oh man...my "concerting" started with that first NKOTB that you, my sweet, patient "you suck Donny" sister Suz took me to!!! That concert was followed by 2 other NKOTB concerts attended with various friends and their annoyed parents! After that it was Tom Petty and the heartbreakers with my friend Rowan Khoury in High School (and sister Rola...still had the multi-cultural friends in HS)! Then, Toad the Wet Sprocket while I lived in Provo,Backstreet boys (just for laughs...but I secretly liked them) when I was 19 or 20 with a group of young single adult friends, then Barenaked ladies right before my mission. And then it was RASCALL FLATTS just this past July as a B-Day present from my hubby! That was the BEST!!! We were on the floor and screaming like 12 year olds! Loved it! :)

Great post Suzy...what a fun walk down memory lane!

Mark Brown said...

Well, thanks to my butt-rocker older brother, I've seen both Van Halen and The Scorpions in concert. But once I was able to choose my own concerts and not be sent as a younger-brother-chaperone, I made better choices. I've seen the Indigo Girls 4 times (they are so great live), Matthew Sweet, Disappear Fear, Alanis Morrisette, The Dave Matthews Band, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Peter, Paul, and Mary, and REM. As much as I love seeing the Indigo Girls live, I have to say that the REM concert was like the transcendent live music experience of my life. Tony and I snuck to the front row and saw the whole show from there. I talked to Peter Buck, the guitarist, in between songs. He threw Tony the pick he used to play the mandolin on "Losing My Religion." It was the greatest concert experience I have ever had.