I had intended to post pics from our weekend today, and share all of our Easter fun but alas, I forgot the camera at home. So that post will have to wait for later. In the meantime, I am stealing Mark's idea for a fun little survey to entertain and enlighten you this fine wintery, Spring day. If you like it, post one to yours!!
Things I'm Not Very Good At
Frosting cakes – I always jump the gun (too warm) or wait too long (too sticky) and always get crumbs in the frosting to where it looks like a crumby mess. What am I doing wrong?
Push ups – This is one of my fitness goals this year. I was once ridiculed and mocked by my Freshman gym teacher who asked me if I knew what a real push up was supposed to look like…too bad he’s not around to help pay my therapy bills. Anyway, I still have to push up from my knees and I let me head sag and my other end sticks up in the air. I definitely need better form and want to get to the point where I can do it from my toes.
Teaching Primary – This is also something that is one of my goals this year. It’s not that I completely suck at teaching primary. I’m just not as good as I thought I’d be and it’s a struggle. I have to work really hard at keeping the kids engaged and helping them to actually get something after the 45 minutes we spend together.
Remembering birthdays – I once made this a New Year’s resolution and by the 5th of January had already failed on my brother Jeff. I have great intentions of sending a card in the mail, or even sending off a quick email. These things are somehow impossible for my brain to negotiate. So, sorry if I’ve ever forgotten or neglected you on your special day…it’s not because I don’t love you.
Doing hair – I appreciate the luxury of paying a little bit more to get a quality cut and color. It’s really one of the only things I do to pamper myself. And they make my hair look fabulous, most of the time. The only problem is I can NEVER re-create what they do. I guess I just don’t have the appropriate tools, or products, or wrist-action to move the round brush properly while blow-drying sections of my hair. I just can’t do it. I’m struggling with my girls too. I can’t French braid, or do anything more fancy than a clip or ponytail. Occasionally I’ll curl their ends under or flip them out, but it doesn’t get much more complicated than that.
Things I Am Good At
“Freestyling” in the Kitchen – As Mark would call it; this action is when you are able to make a satisfying and delicious meal from items in the fridge and cupboards without a recipe. He’s always amazed at my ability to just kind of “whip something up” at the last minute.
Organization – Sometimes it borders on the verge of obsessive/compulsive disorder, but I do have a knack for everything having a place and having a place for every thing.
Name/Face Recognition – I can be watching a commercial for who-knows-what and spot and name the guy who played Brigham Young from the Work & the Glory in two seconds flat. I never forget names and faces from movies, TV shows, etc. and can recall them with alarmingly accurate precision and speed.
Editing – This has always been a skill that has served me well and probably one of my favorite things about my job (tech writer). I actually enjoy reading something with the specific task of looking for spelling and grammatical errors and fixing them, as well as re-working sentence structure, and suggesting alternative words.
Arranging knick-knacks and bric-a-brac – This is also a phrase coined by Mark. He refers to all my little decorations as such. In any case, I think I have a talent at making things look pretty together and arranging rooms, etc. I have always really enjoyed doing it. I can remember re-arranging my bedrooms as a kid, as well as decorating for every season and holiday at my Mother’s request. I got a Fisher Price Interior Design Kit for Christmas one year and wanted to become one as an adult…so much for that. Even if I don’t do it professionally, I can still love it as a hobby.
10 comments:
I still remember pointing to a pile of decor and an unorganized office and saying, "Suzanne, can you, y'know, feng shui it?" And in five minutes the whole place was decorated and organized just so and it looked great. It's an awesome power she has, people. Fear the Feng Shui of Suzanne!
I am slightly envious of your jedi power of decor. The times I have been at your house, I have left wishing I possessed the ability to make things look cool like you do...do you offer lessons or online tutorials??
Let me say this about that ... there are some things we wish we did better, but not enough to change the wish into effort. By that, I mean that the Suzanne (Day) Brown I know has always been able to truly master whatever she truly put her mind to ie. decor, Czech language, driving a stick shift ( ;o) ), etc. If you re-prioritized french braiding, birthday card sending, or cake decorating, I have no doubt that YOU would be an excellent braider-sender-decorator. So there !
I fear the Feng Shui!!! Ben even said to me when we bought new curtains and other assorted "bric a brac" for our living room recently...maybe we should have Suzy come over and put these up...she is just good at stuff like that! I was not offended...I bowed my head, swallowed my pride and slowly... nodded....yes.
Ha Ha!!! :)
Wow. You guys are doing wonders for my ego today. Stop it (some more)!! J/K. I'm always glad to share the decorating love if somebody can show me how to frost a cake or push-up properly...any takers?
No help here on cakes or push-ups. I threw my shoulder out recently trying to do more than 3. :)
You really are talented, and I'm with Shalee, I'd love an online tutorial of arranging a bookcase please. :)
Suzy,
You are a great church teacher. I am always amazed by the lessons you have taught. You just have a class of really difficult kids. It's definitely not the teacher. I wish you would come over here an organize my house because my motto seems more to be "Everything all over the place, " than anything else.
Jen
The cake thing I can help with...are you available for decorating help this weekend?? :)
Okay, so I learned (after many crumbly cakes) that if you freeze the cake before you frost it, the frosting spreads on nicely...that's all I can help with!
As for things you are good at, I envy your ability to freestyle in the kitchen! You must get that from your mom because Jeff can do the same thing! I'm always amazed at what he can pull together out of nothing.
I have the same problem with the hair and I hate it!
Ditto on all comments made above!
Post a Comment