Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

Monday morning after the time change had me all messed up. I switched my clocks on Saturday night and figured we had time to get acclimated on Sunday. Well then Avery woke up puking around 3 am and Sunday was a blur. I didn’t even think about the clocks again until 7 am rolled around (6 am pre-daylight savings time) on Monday morning, and I rolled over and spied my alarm clock to see how many minutes I had left before it would rudely awaken me. I was so disoriented, it didn’t quite register. I had to really think about it for a minute. 7…as in 7 am…as in I overslept…as in I’m supposed to be out the door in 20 minutes…oh, great…here goes a lovely Monday. And off I went. That hasn’t happened to me in forever…the whole “my alarm didn’t go off” excuse. I arrived to work about a half hour late, and seriously considered letting my boss know that that’s why I was a tad bit late that day. Instead I opted for silence, and gave up my lunch break, sparing myself the humiliation and incredibly lame excuses. And it got me thinking…about excuses. And how they kind of confound and bug me. So I made a list…cause I’m seriously hooked on lists and my blog is basically becoming one giant list of smaller lists to organize and document my tidy, little life. Hee hee.

Excuses I will never understand:

I’m not hungry…what’s hunger got to do with eating? Add to that the infamous, “I forgot to eat” line that will forever amuse and stump me.

I forgot…this one is dicey because some people do just have really bad memory. I figure that’s what lists were invented for…so get a pen, some paper, and write it down, or you can always ask me to nag you, cause I’m really good at it.

I didn’t know…especially when it comes to getting this excuse from daughter #1, what she’s forgetting is that at some point I did tell her and she FORGOT, not “didn’t know at all”.

It was too late…I understand this excuse when it comes to the no-calls after 9 pm rule, or weeknight bedtimes for kiddies, but beyond that it seems like sometimes people use this as an excuse to just not leave the house after the sun sets…myself included…especially after watching “I Am Legend”. Yikes.

I was too tired…I "know" tired, and even that isn’t a reason to NOT do anything. For all the Mom's out there who've ever nursed a newborn babe in the wee hours of the morning, then you know that “tired” kind of becomes irrelevant and doesn’t really factor into just plain getting the job done.

I changed my mind…I have actually said this before, however when it is used as an excuse to back out of something after the fact, after you have left another person high and dry of your commitment, than you’re just being a wuss.

So do you have any other classic excuses that you either use or have heard somebody use that is just really lame?

5 comments:

melanie said...

I never understood 'the dog ate my homework' until the dog did.

Paul and Linda said...

Two contributions ... one better than the other :
1. "I'm sorry ! My Church doesn't allow me to do, see, listen to, etc." I, in and of my own volition, would indulge, but , you understand, my Church ... Wuss !
2. " I'm diabetic, and that (whatever it is that I don't want to eat) is probably not on my approved list ! This excuse is always given with lots of head bobbing, and "gee, it looks good" type assurances, shoulder-patting, or eye-winking, etc. I am such a faker !

Mark Brown said...

My missionary companion, the ironically named Elder Tubbs, hated any kind of dessert that involved heated fruit (cobblers and the like)and so he just outright lied to the members who prepared stuff like that for us and said that fruit "makes my throat swell up."

Shalee said...

'It must have slipped my mind' or 'Time just got away from me' are always a favorite of mine...don't truly understand them, but must confess I have used them at one point or another :)

J'Amy Day said...

"My kids are sick (or tired)...sorry, I can't make it." I always hated that one until I started using it:)!